Need help answering questions (Voltage source and 3 Resistors)

In summary, the conversation is about two questions related to voltage and resistance. The first question asks about the voltage in R1 when the current in R is at its maximum. The second question asks if it is possible to make the voltage in R1 equal to Vab by changing the value of R. The relevant equation for both questions is V=IR. The person seeking help tried to solve the second question by applying node voltage, but did not get good results. They also mentioned a possible 2:1 voltage divider ratio. They clarified that they meant "Ir" instead of "ut" in their previous statement.
Purpleshinyrock
Homework Statement
1-What is Voltage in R1 when current in R is maximum?

2-Is it possible to make voltage in R1 equal to vab through changing the value of R?
Relevant Equations
V=IR
Hello. I need help arriving to the answers to the following question above.
You will find the circuit attached
for Number 1 I though that crrent would be maximum when resistance is replaced with a wire but I couldn't get a an expression for ut.
as for question number 2 I tried applying node voltage to see If there's an equation to change the value of R so that what is desired happens but had no good results.
Can you help me?
YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION ARE DEEPLY APPRECIATED .
Thank You.

Attachments

• unknown.png
    unknown.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
Purpleshinyrock said:
Homework Statement:: 1-What is Voltage in R1 when current in R is maximum?

2-Is it possible to make voltage in R1 equal to vab through changing the value of R?
Relevant Equations:: V=IR

couldnt get a an expression for ut.
What is "ut"?

Purpleshinyrock said:
Relevant Equations:: V=IR

for question number 2 I tried applying node voltage to see If there's an equation to change the value of R so that what is desired happens but had no good results.
If V(R1) = V(AB), then you just have a 2:1 voltage divider overall, right? What has to happen to give you that voltage divider ratio?

Likes Purpleshinyrock
berkeman said:
What is "ut"?If V(R1) = V(AB), then you just have a 2:1 voltage divider overall, right? What has to happen to give you that voltage divider ratio?
Thank you for the reply. The only thing that stayed with me about voltage divider is the formula. Are You saying to apply it to V(r1) and make a relation to Vab and Vr1?
I meant ''Ir'' not ''ut'' it was a misstype appologies.

1. What is a voltage source?

A voltage source is a device that provides a constant electrical potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This difference in voltage creates an electric field that allows for the flow of electric current.

2. What are resistors?

Resistors are electronic components that are designed to resist the flow of electric current. They are used to control the amount of current in a circuit and to limit the amount of voltage that reaches certain components.

3. How do voltage sources and resistors work together?

Voltage sources and resistors work together in a circuit to control the flow of electric current. The voltage source provides a constant voltage, while the resistors limit the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. This allows for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

4. What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance?

According to Ohm's law, the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance is represented by the equation V=IR. This means that the voltage (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). As resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

5. How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors?

The total resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors can be calculated by adding the individual resistances together. For resistors in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. For resistors in parallel, the reciprocal of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the individual resistances.