Need help calculating torque required

• Thread starter Usman Maqsood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the task of designing a rotating wooden column that needs to spin 360 degrees in 5 steps of 72 degrees each. The material used is wood and the necessary components for rotating the column, such as a stepper motor and gear, are mentioned. The issue at hand is determining the necessary torque to spin the column, which will help determine the appropriate motor size. The conversation also mentions the need to consider the moment of inertia and provides a potential method for estimating the torque.
Usman Maqsood
Hello! I am an electrical engineer and have taken on a task to design a rotating wooden column. See attached image of the column.

The requirements are to spin the column 360 degrees in 5 steps of 72 degrees each. The material used is wood.

I know what I need to do in order to get it to spin (stepper motor, gear, shaft, bearing etc). How fast does the column need to spin? Not fast. The stepper motor can be stepped however fast the design needs to be (up to a limit).

The issue: I don't know how much torque is needed to spin the column. This seems to be a slightly complex problem which I don't have the right background to answer.

The torque estimation will help me figure out what size motor i can use.

So, I would like to be pointed in the right direction to calculate the torque (internet references, reading materials, actual weight measurements etc).

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image1.png
    image1.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 491
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
If it is rotating about the vertical axis then very little torque will be needed.
You must accelerate it, then decelerate it. So it all depends on how quickly you need to move it.

You will need some idea of the rotating mass and the radius since moment of inertia is important.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia

Tie a piece of string to largest radius point of whatever is moving . Arrange string horizontally and tangentially to circle of motion . Take string over a simple pulley and then vertically down .

By trial find a weight which when tied to bottom of string and released starts column moving at required rate .

Option: take several string turns around actual column and do same thing but timing the turns .

Last edited:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force.

2. Why is torque important?

Torque is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects and is used in various engineering and scientific applications. It is also a key factor in determining the amount of force needed to move or rotate an object.

3. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force. The formula for torque is T = F x r, where T is torque, F is force, and r is the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force.

4. What units are used to measure torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb). In some cases, other units such as pound-feet (lb·ft) or kilogram-meters (kg·m) may also be used.

5. How can I calculate the torque required for a specific task?

To calculate the torque required for a specific task, you will need to know the force being applied, the distance from the axis to the point of application of the force, and the type of motion (e.g. rotational or linear). You can then use the formula T = F x r to determine the required torque. It is also important to consider any external factors that may affect the torque, such as friction or resistance.