Stepper torque calculation to drive a solid cylinder

In summary, The conversation discusses the process of selecting a proper motor to rotate a solid cylinder with specific properties. It is recommended to calculate the torque needed based on the motion profile and the speed torque curve of the stepper motor. Other factors to consider include bearing friction and the need for a gear reducer. The process is iterative and may require adjusting the speed and acceleration to find a suitable motor within budget. Additionally, the conversation touches on calculating the torque needed to rotate the cylinder by a specific degree in a given time without considering the motor.
MOTASH
Hi All,

I'm working on some design and apparently my physics expertise are getting rusty,i'd appreciate some help with the following:-
I need to calculate the required torque for a stepper motor to rotate a solid cylinder with the following properties:-
radius : 20cm
height: 12cm
density : the cylinder shall be made of ABS, but having cavities(symmetrically spaced) filled with liquid(water), for simplicity i am assuming a homogeneous density of 1.1g/cm3
The cylinder is suspended vertically on bearing and i am ignoring static friction , the rotation is around the vertical axis

The stepper is expected to have 1.8deg/step, and speed of 30rpm

I've done some math trying to calculate the torque required to rotate one step from rest :
Torque = Moment of inertia * Angular Acceleration

Cylinder mass : 16.587kg
Moment of inertia : 0.33175 kg.m2

Step time (@30rpm) : 10ms
Ang. velcoity : 3.14159 rad/s
the acceleration figure will be ridiculous, leading to a very large torque(compared to the holding torque i get in datasheets)
what's wrong with the approach/units or should the result be compared to the stalling torque(never mentioned in datasheets of common steppers)
Any help is much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to work a problem like this from a different direction. You choose a motion profile, then specify a motor to make the load follow that motion profile. The motion profile consists of two curves, one for acceleration vs time and the other for velocity vs time.

Get the speed torque curve for your stepper motor. Search terms stepper motor speed torque curve will bring up good information on interpreting these curves. A general rule is that your motion profile should use a maximum of 1/3 to 1/2 of the available stepper torque.

It is good practice to include the bearing friction in your calculations even if it is small. As a practical matter, bearing friction can be ignored if it is less than about 5% of the acceleration torque. But, since you need to calculate the bearing friction to know that, you might as well include it in your calculations.

If your maximum speed is 30 RPM, you may have trouble finding a stepper motor that will drive the load directly. A solution is to add a gear reducer.

• Informative
Likes anorlunda
jrmichler said:
You need to work a problem like this from a different direction. You choose a motion profile, then specify a motor to make the load follow that motion profile. The motion profile consists of two curves, one for acceleration vs time and the other for velocity vs time.

Get the speed torque curve for your stepper motor. Search terms stepper motor speed torque curve will bring up good information on interpreting these curves. A general rule is that your motion profile should use a maximum of 1/3 to 1/2 of the available stepper torque.

It is good practice to include the bearing friction in your calculations even if it is small. As a practical matter, bearing friction can be ignored if it is less than about 5% of the acceleration torque. But, since you need to calculate the bearing friction to know that, you might as well include it in your calculations.

If your maximum speed is 30 RPM, you may have trouble finding a stepper motor that will drive the load directly. A solution is to add a gear reducer.
I'm having a problem characterizing the load, to select a proper motor
I'm not sure if i understand your point : by looking into motor curves how can i select which one fits?

regarding the speed of 30rpm,i hope i could make it 300rpm :),but into the eqn this would mean a higher angular velocity and hence a higher torque requirement

Do the search I suggested, then spend a few hours studying what you find. There are no shortcuts if you want to build something that works. You need to have a good general understanding of stepper motor speed and torque curves in order to understand what was said in Post #2. Getting that understanding will be a few hours well spent. In addition, some of those sites are better written than anything I can do.

You can drive your load at whatever speed you want, and accelerate to that speed in whatever time you want. The calculations are the same for low speed and acceleration as for high speed and acceleration. The difference is in the cost of the motor and drive.

The process is iterative. You start with the speed and acceleration you would like. If the motor size (and cost) is too high, then reduce speed and/or acceleration, and try again.

jrmichler said:
Do the search I suggested, then spend a few hours studying what you find. There are no shortcuts if you want to build something that works. You need to have a good general understanding of stepper motor speed and torque curves in order to understand what was said in Post #2. Getting that understanding will be a few hours well spent. In addition, some of those sites are better written than anything I can do.

You can drive your load at whatever speed you want, and accelerate to that speed in whatever time you want. The calculations are the same for low speed and acceleration as for high speed and acceleration. The difference is in the cost of the motor and drive.

The process is iterative. You start with the speed and acceleration you would like. If the motor size (and cost) is too high, then reduce speed and/or acceleration, and try again.

if you forget about the motor:
what is the torque needed to rotate the above cylinder by 1.8deg from rest in 10ms

What is stepper torque and why is it important in driving a solid cylinder?

Stepper torque is the amount of twisting force produced by a stepper motor. It is important in driving a solid cylinder because it determines the motor's ability to rotate the cylinder and overcome any resistance or friction.

How do I calculate the required stepper torque for driving a solid cylinder?

The formula for calculating stepper torque is: Torque = Force x Distance. You will need to determine the force required to rotate the cylinder (taking into account factors such as weight and friction) and the distance from the motor to the center of the cylinder. Plug these values into the formula to calculate the required stepper torque.

What factors can affect the stepper torque required for driving a solid cylinder?

The weight of the cylinder, the friction between the cylinder and its surroundings, and the speed and acceleration at which the cylinder needs to be rotated can all affect the required stepper torque. Additionally, the diameter and length of the cylinder can also impact the torque needed.

How can I ensure that my stepper motor has enough torque to drive a solid cylinder?

You can ensure that your stepper motor has enough torque by selecting a motor with a higher torque rating than the calculated value. You can also increase the gear ratio between the motor and the cylinder to increase the torque output.

Are there any other considerations besides torque when selecting a stepper motor for driving a solid cylinder?

Yes, there are other important factors to consider such as the motor's step angle, holding torque, and maximum speed. You should also consider the power supply and driver circuitry needed to properly control the motor and ensure it can handle the required torque and speed.