Need help deriving the general maximum height equation

In summary, the equation for maximum height in projectile motion is (Vm2sin2θ/2g), which can be derived through calculus or charts.
arbartz

Homework Statement

You need to derive the general maximum height equation for projectile motion. This equation allows you to calculate the maximum height a projectile reaches or could reach during its motion. Like other such equations we derived in this unit, this one is also very short and simple. In this particular equation max height or YMAX can be defined or expressed in terms of Vm, g, θ, and one trig function. there is both a calculus and non-calculus derivation of this particular formula and both require careful and creative thinking.
-The calculus method begins with using the trajectory equation.
-The non-calculus method begins with setting up the charts.

You may choose either method, but you must clearly show every step in the derivation process. Missing or unclear steps will result in a loss of points. Finally clearly write and circle your resulting formula as: YMAX=

Homework Equations

Trajectory Equation: y=xtanθ-(gx2/2VL2cos2θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

After some research I found that the equation should be: YMAX=(Vm2sin2θ/2g)

I really don't even know where to start on this. He said that the non-calculus method is much easier. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can split the movement in horizontal and vertical motion and ignore the horizontal part.

Energy conservation is one way to get the maximal height, equations for a free fall will work, too.
In terms of the calculus method: Try to find the derivative of y with respect to x. Which value do you expect at the highest point?

Ok, so I split it into Vert and Horiz, then ignored the Horiz. I would get:

Vf = -Vmsin(θ)
Vi = Vmsin(θ)
d = y
t = t
a = g

Is that correct for the chart?

Then I would just have to solve for y and ignore time, using this equation:
Vf2 = Vi2 + 2ad
then
(-VmSin(θ))2=(VmSin(θ))2+2(g)y
but then I run into the problem where y=0. Which is certainly not what I need.

What am I doing wrong?

I do not understand what you are doing there.

You could try to calculate the time from launch to highest point, for example.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help with deriving the general maximum height equation for projectile motion. This equation is an important tool for calculating the maximum height of a projectile and can be derived using both calculus and non-calculus methods.

For the non-calculus method, we can start by setting up a chart with the variables involved in the equation: YMAX, Vm, g, θ, and a trig function. The first step is to identify the relevant equations that involve these variables. One such equation is the trajectory equation, which is y=xtanθ-(gx^2/2V^2L^2cos^2θ). This equation relates the vertical position (y) of the projectile to its horizontal position (x), initial velocity (V), launch angle (θ), and acceleration due to gravity (g).

Next, we can rearrange this equation to isolate the maximum height (YMAX). This can be done by setting the vertical position (y) equal to zero, as the maximum height is reached when the projectile is at its highest point, and solving for x. This gives us x=(V^2sin2θ)/g. We can substitute this value for x into the trajectory equation, giving us y=(V^2sin2θ)/g*tanθ-(g(V^2sin2θ)/g^2)/2V^2L^2cos^2θ. Simplifying this equation gives us y=(V^2sin2θ)/2g-(V^2sin^2θ)/2g. The second term in this equation can be simplified using the trigonometric identity sin^2θ=1-cos^2θ, giving us y=(V^2sin2θ)/2g-(V^2cos^2θ)/2g. Finally, we can factor out V^2/2g, giving us y=(V^2/2g)(sin2θ-cos^2θ). We can then use the double angle identity sin2θ=2sinθcosθ to simplify this equation further, giving us y=(V^2/2g)(2sinθcosθ-cos^2θ). This can be rewritten as y=(V^2/2g)(cosθ(2sinθ-cosθ)). Finally, we can use the trigonometric identity cosθ=1-sin^2θ to get y=(V^2

1. What is the general maximum height equation?

The general maximum height equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the highest point that an object will reach when thrown or launched into the air. It takes into account variables such as initial velocity, gravity, and launch angle.

2. How do you derive the general maximum height equation?

The general maximum height equation can be derived using principles from physics, specifically the equations of motion and projectile motion. By analyzing the forces acting on the object and using kinematic equations, the equation can be derived.

3. What are the variables in the general maximum height equation?

The variables in the general maximum height equation include initial velocity (v), launch angle (θ), time of flight (t), acceleration due to gravity (g), and the maximum height (h). These variables can be represented by different symbols in different forms of the equation.

4. Is the general maximum height equation applicable to all objects?

The general maximum height equation can be used for any object that follows a projectile motion trajectory. This means that it is applicable to objects that are thrown, launched, or otherwise propelled into the air, as long as the effects of air resistance can be ignored.

5. How can the general maximum height equation be applied in real life?

The general maximum height equation has many practical applications, such as in sports like basketball, where players need to calculate the maximum height of their jump shots. It can also be used in engineering to determine the maximum height of a building or the trajectory of a rocket launch.