Need help factoring the solution to this integral

In summary, the student is seeking help with factoring their answer for an integration problem. They have already found a solution that is equivalent to the one given in the book, but they are having trouble getting it in the exact same format. After receiving assistance, they realize that they just need to use a basic property of multiplication to obtain the desired format.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

∫ (x2+2x)cos(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I will not show the entire solution because it is quite long (had to use integration by parts twice), and my problem isn't with getting the solution. My problem is the book shows one answer (which is equivalent to mine, but factored in a way that I cannot seem to achieve).

The answer I got (verified by symbolab and wolfram alpha)
x2sin(x) - 2[sin(x) - xcos(x)] + 2[xsin(x) + cos(x)] + C
Which I managed to factor (using rearranging and grouping) into:
sin(x)(x2 + 2x - 2) + 2cos(x)(x + 1) + C

The book's answer is very, very close to mine, but it is irking me that I do not know how to get it exactly as such:
sin(x)(x2 + 2x) + 2cos(x)(x + 1) - 2sin(x) + C

Could someone help me figure out how to turn my factored answer into the book's answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
You just need to multiply the first sine function out to get that ##-2\sin(x)## term in there. In full detail, write $$\sin(x)(x^2 + 2x - 2) = x^2 \sin(x) + 2x \sin(x) - 2 \sin(x) = \sin(x) (x^2 + 2x) - 2 \sin(x).$$

dlacombe13 said:

Homework Statement

∫ (x2+2x)cos(x) dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I will not show the entire solution because it is quite long (had to use integration by parts twice), and my problem isn't with getting the solution. My problem is the book shows one answer (which is equivalent to mine, but factored in a way that I cannot seem to achieve).

The answer I got (verified by symbolab and wolfram alpha)
x2sin(x) - 2[sin(x) - xcos(x)] + 2[xsin(x) + cos(x)] + C
Which I managed to factor (using rearranging and grouping) into:
sin(x)(x2 + 2x - 2) + 2cos(x)(x + 1) + C

The book's answer is very, very close to mine, but it is irking me that I do not know how to get it exactly as such:
sin(x)(x2 + 2x) + 2cos(x)(x + 1) - 2sin(x) + C

Could someone help me figure out how to turn my factored answer into the book's answer?

Did you miss the fact that ##\sin(x) (x^2 + 2x - 2) = \sin(x)(x^2 + 2x) - 2 \sin(x)##?

Yes I certainly did... I guess what I didn't realize was that it was just the basic property a(b+c) = ab+ac but in the form a(b+c+d) = a(b+c)+ad. Thanks for pointing out what I missed!

1. What is the purpose of factoring the solution to an integral?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a mathematical expression into smaller parts. In the context of integrals, factoring is used to simplify the solution and make it easier to work with. It can also help in identifying patterns and relationships within the integral.

2. How do you know if you need to factor the solution to an integral?

Factoring is not always necessary for solving integrals. However, it can be helpful in cases where the integral involves complex expressions or if you are trying to find a specific solution. It is always a good idea to check if factoring can simplify the integral before attempting to solve it.

3. Can factoring be used to solve any type of integral?

No, factoring can only be used to solve certain types of integrals. It is most commonly used for integrals that involve polynomial expressions or expressions with common factors. Other techniques, such as substitution, may be more effective for solving other types of integrals.

4. What are some common methods for factoring integrals?

One common method is the use of the distributive property to factor out a common term from each term in the integral. Another method is to group expressions with common factors together and factor them out. Additionally, the use of trigonometric identities can also be helpful in factoring certain integrals.

5. Are there any tips for factoring integrals more efficiently?

One tip is to always look for common factors or patterns within the integral that can be factored out. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different factoring techniques. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of your steps can make the process of factoring integrals more efficient.