Need help figuring out velocity of a venting gas

In summary, the conversation is about determining the velocity of nitrogen gas exiting a pipe, taking into account compressibility and pressure changes. The speaker is unsure about the effects of a relief valve and a long vent line on the flow and asks for guidance. Additionally, there is a discussion about the use of Q=Av formula and the need for more detailed information, including a sketch of the vent and ambient temperature. The primary question is whether Q=Av formula can be applied to compressible fluids, with the speaker ultimately needing to know the force of the fluid exiting the pipe into the atmosphere.
steves1080
I have a compressible gas (nitrogen) venting from a pipe. What I am trying to figure out is how fast the gas is exiting the pipe. I know the volumetric flow rate and the area of the pipe, but I cannot use the standard Q=Av formula because that provides me with an exit velocity of Mach 3 (a little extreme). I am assuming compressibility comes into the equation but I don't know how exactly. Any guidance would be great; thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's where it gets a little tricky. The process piping is pressurized to just under 3000 psig, but there is a relief valve that vents off gas once 3000 psig is attained. There is a long vent line that opens up to atmosphere, and I need the exhaust velocity at the exit. Wouldn't I just assume that the pressure is ambient at the end of the pipe? Otherwise, what do I set it as?

You need to know the characteristics of this 'long vent line' running from the relief valve. You are going to have flow with friction of the nitrogen gas as it escapes thru the vent. I also suspect that with the gas flowing through the relief valve and into this long duct, flow is going to be choked at some point in the vent ('choked' means that the nitrogen has reached Mach 1 and the mass flow at that point has reached its maximum value).

At the minimum, you should have a sketch of the vent starting at the relief valve and running to the outlet, along with pipe sizes and schedules and lengths, plus a list of any fittings which might also be present in the vent line (elbows, tees, valves, etc.) It would also help if ambient temp. can be provided, along with temp. of the N2, if it is different from ambient.

Last edited:
I appreciate your level of detail, but I'm not trying to get that involved with the problem. Just trying to get a worst case force of the outlet to know what kind of torque will be experienced at the elbow bend when it vents at full pressure. That's a good point about choked flow, I might just assume a sonic velocity and call it a day.

But my primary question is still does Q=Av still apply to compressible fluids?

Thanks

You can't use Q because the pressure is changing as the N2 moves down the pipe. You have to use m-dot, the mass flow rate.

actually i just need to know the force of the fluid exiting the pipe into the atmosphere (need to know what kind of stress is being put on the pipes at that point). so i guess my underlying question would just be can i use F = (1/2)*(density of GN2)*(exit velocity^2)*(area of pipe cross section) where exit velocity = the speed of sound?

Related to Need help figuring out velocity of a venting gas

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity of a venting gas?

The formula for calculating velocity of a venting gas is V = (Q/A), where V is the velocity, Q is the volumetric flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the vent.

2. How do I determine the volumetric flow rate of the gas?

The volumetric flow rate can be determined by measuring the amount of gas flowing through the vent in a given amount of time. This can be done using a flow meter or by calculating the change in pressure over time using the ideal gas law.

3. What units should be used for the velocity calculation?

The units for velocity calculation should be consistent with the units used for the volumetric flow rate and cross-sectional area. Common units for velocity include meters per second (m/s) and feet per second (ft/s).

4. How does the cross-sectional area of the vent affect the velocity of the gas?

The cross-sectional area of the vent is directly proportional to the velocity of the gas. This means that a larger cross-sectional area will result in a lower velocity, while a smaller cross-sectional area will result in a higher velocity.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the velocity of a venting gas?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the velocity of a venting gas, such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, the shape and size of the vent, and the presence of any obstructions or restrictions in the vent. These factors should be taken into consideration when calculating the velocity of a venting gas.