Need help making a high temp pigment

• Thread starter hygume
  • Start date
In summary, the engineer is looking for a way to dye a refractory brick black using a new pigment that is unsuitable for current applications, but is looking for advice on how to make the desired pH range with an inert base material.
hygume
I'll spare y'all the details but, in short, instead of previous plans I'd had, I've ended up doing exciting engineering work for a company in Virginia. Our products operate in very high-temperature environments (>1000C) routinely and we like to dye them black for visual appeal. As we look towards higher temp applications, our current dye will be insufficient. I'm looking to utilize graphite as the base of our pigment but, the pH is too acidic (~5, needs to be closer to 8-8.5). I'm an engineer, and not the colloidal chemistry kind. Would a simple alkaline wash be sufficient to maintain the desired pH? If I were to mix with an inert base material so that the average pH were in that 8-8.5 range, would that achieve the sort of results we're looking for? I apologize for the likely amateur questions but, I forgot all of ORGO the moment I finished the final exam.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide!

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is the base material ?
What was the previous dye ?

Baluncore said:
What is the base material ?
What was the previous dye ?
It'll be sprayed on refractory bricks and/or stainless steel. Previous dye was Shepherd 10K927 (pH 8.2) and it works well but, is limited to ~1200C. We've attempted Shepherd Black 444 (pH 6., slightly larger particle size) but, it caused everything to fall out of solution.

Graphite is an inert material at standard temperatures, but in the presence of oxygen, when the temperature reaches approximately 1000°C, the graphite will rapidly oxidise to CO or CO2.

Black 444 is used in applications where the absence of chromium is needed. Stainless steel contains at least 11% Cr, so you could use a Cr based pigment, or chemically convert the Cr surface of the stainless steel to a stable black compound.

Iron II Oxide. It is the black coating that you find on steel fasteners. Very stable at high temperatures. Can turn into red rust if you let it get wet. But the high temps will roast it back to black.

Would like to thank you all for your pointers! I've got a couple of prospectives going into testing on Monday. Fingers crossed but, I'm hopeful.

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and Baluncore

1. What is a high temp pigment?

A high temp pigment is a type of pigment that can withstand high temperatures without losing its color or properties. It is often used in industrial applications such as ceramic glazes, plastics, and coatings.

2. How is a high temp pigment made?

A high temp pigment is typically made by mixing a pigment base with a high temperature binder, such as a ceramic binder or a specialized resin. The mixture is then heated and processed to create a stable and durable pigment.

3. What are the key properties of a high temp pigment?

The key properties of a high temp pigment include high temperature resistance, color stability, chemical resistance, and durability. These properties make it suitable for use in extreme environments and industrial applications.

4. What factors affect the color and stability of a high temp pigment?

The color and stability of a high temp pigment can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the pigment base, the type of binder used, the processing conditions, and the intended use of the pigment. It is important to carefully select and control these factors to achieve the desired color and stability.

5. Can a high temp pigment be customized for specific applications?

Yes, a high temp pigment can be customized for specific applications by adjusting the composition and processing parameters. This allows for the creation of pigments with different colors, properties, and levels of temperature resistance to meet the specific needs of different industries and applications.