Need help manipulating absorption spectroscopy data please

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem in their laser spectroscopy data for rubidium isotopes. They have attached an image showing their doppler free laser absorption bands and fringe pattern from a Michelson Interferometer. The issue is that the plot is not accurately scaled due to the compression and rarefaction of the fringes caused by the scanning of the diffraction grating. The speaker is wondering if there is a way to fix the plot in Matlab using numerical data from the oscilloscope. They acknowledge that their explanation may be vague and encourage others to ask questions for clarification.
Calcifur
Hi guys,
So my project partner and I are struggling to solve a problem with our laser spectroscopy data for rubidium isotopes and I thought it may be a good idea to see if you could help us.

If you take a look at the attached image you will see that the blue line shows our doppler free laser absorption bands for Rb87 f=2 state and Rb85 f=3 state, the yellow line is the fringe pattern of our corresponding Michelson Interferometer which we have been using to monitor the change in frequency of our laser.

Now, the problem that I'm hoping you may be able to help us with is that we want to produce the same plot but streched out to the regular size it should be. In other words if you take a look again at the Michelson line, you will see that the fringes compress together at certain parts and stretch away at others (caused by the scanning of the diffraction grating used to change the laser frequency), and these compressions and rarefactions occur on the absoption line too at the same parts. Consequently,the oscilloscope is not actually showing the absortion spectrum to the correct scale, if you get my meaning.

Given that we have extracted the numerical data for the oscilloscope plots for both lines, do you know if there's a way I can fix the plot in Matlab, with a formula or something?

I know my explanation is vague, Is just its hard for me to describe the problem in words but feel free to message any questions.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• F0000TEK.JPG
    F0000TEK.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
No takers huh? If anyone is having trouble understanding my problem please let me know or ask any questions. Many Thanks

1. What is absorption spectroscopy data?

Absorption spectroscopy data refers to the measurements of the amount of light absorbed by a sample at different wavelengths. This data is used to analyze the chemical composition and concentration of a substance.

2. How is absorption spectroscopy data collected?

Absorption spectroscopy data is collected by passing a beam of light through a sample and measuring the amount of light that is absorbed. The data is then recorded and analyzed to determine the absorption spectrum of the sample.

3. What is the purpose of manipulating absorption spectroscopy data?

The purpose of manipulating absorption spectroscopy data is to enhance the quality and accuracy of the data. This can include removing noise or artifacts, correcting for baseline shifts, and improving the signal-to-noise ratio.

4. What techniques can be used to manipulate absorption spectroscopy data?

There are several techniques that can be used to manipulate absorption spectroscopy data, such as baseline correction, smoothing, and deconvolution. These techniques can be performed manually or with the help of specialized software.

5. How can one interpret absorption spectroscopy data?

Interpretation of absorption spectroscopy data involves comparing the absorption spectrum of the sample to known spectra of different substances or using mathematical models to determine the chemical composition and concentration of the sample. It is important to consider factors such as instrument limitations and potential interferences in the interpretation process.