Need Help Meshing a Turbine in Gambit? Can Someone Provide Guidance Urgently?

In summary, the person is urgently seeking help with meshing a turbine in gambit and is unsure about the necessary steps and vertices to select. They are also unsure if a shroud is needed for the turbine. They have reached out to others for assistance.
Pingaroo
meshing turbine in gambit ~~ urgent

Hi...
I would be very grateful if someone could help me to mesh the turbine in gambit. I have been struggling with this for the last whole week so desperately need help urgently.

I already have the model in gambit but I am not sure if this kind of problem is necessary to build a turbo profile or not and if it is so what is the casing inlet? I looked through the gambit tutorial but still don't understand which vertices need to select to hub and casing inlet. :confused:

Since I only have the turbine structure does that mean I need to build the shrouded to cover the whole turbine?

Thank you very very much in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Have, you had any sucess with this yet? I have a friend who models this type of rotating equipment with Gambit, I can ask him for advice if you still need help.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the purpose of meshing a turbine in Gambit?

The purpose of meshing a turbine in Gambit is to create a structured or unstructured grid, which is used for computational fluid dynamics (CFD) analysis. This grid is necessary for simulating the flow of fluids through the turbine and obtaining accurate results.

2. What are the steps involved in meshing a turbine in Gambit?

The steps involved in meshing a turbine in Gambit are as follows:

• Importing the geometry of the turbine into Gambit
  • Defining the boundaries and zones for the turbine
  • Creating a mesh using structured or unstructured grid techniques
  • Adjusting the mesh to ensure proper resolution and quality
  • Exporting the mesh for use in CFD simulations

3. Which meshing technique is better for turbine analysis, structured or unstructured?

Both structured and unstructured meshing techniques have their advantages and disadvantages. Structured meshing is more suitable for simple geometries and can provide better control over the grid resolution. Unstructured meshing, on the other hand, is more suitable for complex geometries and can save computational time. The choice of technique ultimately depends on the specific turbine geometry and the desired level of accuracy.

4. How can I ensure the quality of the mesh for turbine analysis?

To ensure the quality of the mesh for turbine analysis, it is important to consider the following factors:

• Proper resolution of the mesh, with finer cells in regions of high flow gradients
  • Avoiding skewed cells, as they can lead to inaccurate results
  • Checking for smooth transition between cell sizes
  • Avoiding highly distorted cells

5. Can I use the same mesh for different turbine designs?

In general, it is not recommended to use the same mesh for different turbine designs. Each turbine has its unique geometry and flow characteristics, which require a specific mesh to accurately capture the flow behavior. However, if the designs are very similar, it may be possible to use a similar mesh with minor adjustments. It is always best to create a new mesh for each turbine design to ensure accurate results.