Need help preparing for graduate school

In summary, the conversation is about someone who recently got their Bachelor's degree in Physics and is now looking into Master's programs. They took a year off to help their family move and are now wondering how to effectively prepare for graduate school. They also ask for recommendations on a clear and well-explained textbook on classical mechanics. Another person suggests looking through the free online physics textbook thread for resources and textbook recommendations. The original person expresses gratitude for the suggestion and asks for more advice on preparing for graduate school.
bil_drk
Greetings,

I recently got my Bachelors in Physics, and took a year off to help my family move out of state. The move is complete, and I am looking into Master's programs. My question is how can I effectively prepare for this? I don't think my skills have declined terribly, but I know they aren't what they were, and could use sharpening. Also, I would like to ask which Classical Mechanics text I could consider. As an undergrad, we used Marion and Thornton's "Classical Dynamics of Particle's and Systems", and I hated it. I want a book that is clear and explains the concepts well. Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't help all that much as an undergraduate student, but if you're looking for a text on classical mechanics try looking into the textbook sub-forum under homework help and look through the free physics online textbook thread. It's a very well compiled list of invaluable resources overall. If you're looking for a textbook recommendation, you can also find that in the sub-forum.

Thanks for your reply Thewindyfan, I appreciate your input. I will look in there and see what I can find. If anybody else has some suggestions about preparing for Graduate School, I would sincerely appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Related to Need help preparing for graduate school

1. What should I focus on during my undergraduate studies to prepare for graduate school?

The most important aspect to focus on during your undergraduate studies is to maintain a strong academic record. This includes taking challenging courses, earning good grades, and participating in research or internships related to your field of interest. Additionally, building relationships with professors and seeking out opportunities for leadership and community involvement can also strengthen your graduate school application.

2. How should I choose a graduate program?

Before choosing a graduate program, it is important to research and consider factors such as the program's reputation, faculty, curriculum, and resources available. You should also assess the program's fit for your career goals, as well as the location and cost of attendance. It can also be helpful to speak with current students or alumni to gain insight into their experiences.

3. Are there any exams or tests I need to take for graduate school?

Many graduate programs require applicants to take standardized tests such as the GRE, GMAT, or LSAT. It is important to research the specific requirements for your desired program and make a plan to prepare for these exams. Additionally, some programs may require specific subject tests or portfolios, so be sure to carefully review all application materials.

4. How can I improve my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

In addition to maintaining a strong academic record, there are several ways to improve your chances of being accepted into graduate school. These include obtaining strong letters of recommendation, writing a compelling personal statement, and gaining relevant experience through internships or research opportunities. Additionally, networking and building relationships with faculty members in your field of interest can also be beneficial.

5. How can I finance my graduate education?

Graduate school can be expensive, so it is important to research and plan for financing your education. Some options include applying for scholarships and grants, obtaining student loans, or working as a teaching or research assistant. Many universities also offer funding opportunities for graduate students, so it is important to research and apply for these as well. It can also be helpful to create a budget and explore part-time job opportunities to supplement your income during graduate school.