Need help proving an equation for power loss in a dielectric

In summary: This is the real power.In summary, the conversation revolves around proving an equation involving time-averaged power loss, complex sinusoidal voltage and current, and various constants. The attempt at a solution involves using complex expressions for voltage and current to compute power, but it is not possible as the real part of the product of voltage and current does not have a non-zero average over the time period.
BaghDal

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations
[/B]
I am trying to prove the equation
$$
\frac{\bar{P}}{V}=\frac{1}{2}E_0^2\sigma_{AC}
$$
which can be rewritten as
$$
\begin{align}
\frac{\bar{P}}{V} &= \frac{1}{2}E_0^2\sigma_{AC}\\
&=\frac{1}{2}E_0^2\ \omega\ \epsilon_0\ \epsilon^{''}_r\\
&=\frac{1}{2}E_0^2\ \omega\ \epsilon_0\ \epsilon_r^{'}\ \tan(\delta)
\end{align}
$$
Here $$\bar{P}$$ stands for the time-averaged power loss which satisfies the equation
$$
\bar{P}=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T U\ I\ dt,
$$
where $$T=\frac{2\pi}{\omega}$$ is the time period, $$U=U_0 e^{j\omega t}$$ is the complex sinusoidal voltage, and $$I=j\omega\epsilon^{'}_rC_0U + \omega\epsilon^{''}_rC_0U$$.
The instructions say to use
$$
\begin{align}
U_0 &= E_0h\\
C &= \epsilon_r\epsilon_0\frac{A}{h}\\
V &= A\ h \\
\sigma_{AC}&=\omega\epsilon_0\epsilon^{''}_r=\epsilon_0\epsilon^{'}_r\tan(\delta)\\
\tan(\delta) &= \frac{\epsilon^{''}_r}{\epsilon^{'}_r}
\end{align}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I face is after solving the main integral part, which is like:
$$
\epsilon^{''}_r*(F(T) - F(0)) + j*\epsilon^{'}_r((F(T) - F(0))
$$
where $$F(t) = e^{2j\omega t}$$ and I neglected all the constants for simplicity.
$$F(T)$$ is equal to $$\exp(j*4*\pi)$$ which is 1, making $$(F(T)-F(0))$$ zero and thus the whole equation zero.

I thought of root mean squaring both U and I to begin with, but this gives out $$\sqrt{\epsilon^{''2}_r+\epsilon^{'2}_r/2}$$ term which doesn't seem to lead to the proof result.

I have a hunch that I maybe missing some elementary calculation basics. I would really appreciate any help that you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic problem is with using complex expressions for volts and current to compute power. Can't be done.
Consider:
V = V0exp(jwt). Real part is V0 cos(wt).
I = I0exp(jwt). Real part is I0 cos(wt).
Multiply: P = VI = V0 I0 exp(2wt). Real part is V0 I0 cos(2wt) which has zero average over T = 2pi/w (no dc term).
Which we know is wrong since P = V0 sin(wt) x I0 sin(wt) = V0 I0 sin2(wt) = V0 I0 (1/2)[1 - cos(2w)]
with average P = (V0 I0)/2.

1. What is the equation for power loss in a dielectric?

The equation for power loss in a dielectric is P = εr * ε0 * ω * ε'' * E^2 * A, where P is the power loss, εr is the relative permittivity, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, ω is the angular frequency, ε'' is the imaginary part of the relative permittivity, E is the electric field strength, and A is the area of the dielectric.

2. How is the equation for power loss in a dielectric derived?

The equation for power loss in a dielectric is derived from the complex permittivity, which takes into account the real and imaginary parts of the relative permittivity. The imaginary part represents the energy dissipated as heat due to the dielectric's internal resistance.

3. What factors affect power loss in a dielectric?

The factors that affect power loss in a dielectric include the relative permittivity, frequency of the electric field, electric field strength, and the area of the dielectric. Higher values of these factors result in higher power loss in the dielectric.

4. Can the equation for power loss in a dielectric be used for all types of dielectrics?

Yes, the equation for power loss in a dielectric can be used for all types of dielectrics as long as the material's properties are known. However, it is important to note that the equation may need to be modified for certain types of dielectrics, such as non-linear dielectrics.

5. How is the power loss in a dielectric related to the dielectric strength?

The power loss in a dielectric is directly proportional to the dielectric strength. This means that as the dielectric strength increases, the power loss also increases. The dielectric strength is a measure of the material's ability to withstand an electrical field without breaking down, so higher dielectric strength means higher resistance to power loss.