Need help understanding air resistance lab (coffee filters)

In summary, the conversation is about choosing between two equations - F = -bv and F = cv^2 - to model the relationship between speed and drag force. The speaker is confused about which equation to use, as their graphs seem to suggest using the -bv equation, but they are unsure why. The other speaker explains that the error bars on the graphs may be misleading and that the v^2 equation is a better fit for the data. The speaker asks for clarification on why a straight line is important and the other speaker explains that it is important to determine the best mathematical model for the data. The conversation ends with the speaker still unsure and asking for further explanation.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

IMG_20180328_004957.jpg

Homework Equations

Equations posted in pictures attached

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted it yet because I am confused about something. If the-cv^2 case is for objects that hit terminal velocity at the fastest rate, why are my graphs showing that I should use the -bv case? There must be something I am missing here. I thought the-cv^2 case is for high speed objects AND objects that hit terminal velocity fast like coffee filters and feathers?[/B]

Attachments

• IMG_20180328_001045.jpg
    IMG_20180328_001045.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 565
  • IMG_20180328_001031.jpg
    IMG_20180328_001031.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_20180319_034530.jpg
    IMG_20180319_034530.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_20180319_034513.jpg
    IMG_20180319_034513.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_20180328_004957.jpg
    IMG_20180328_004957.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,206
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
why are my graphs showing that I should use the -bv case?
Do they? What makes you say that?

haruspex said:
Do they? What makes you say that?
because the error bars are smaller overall. Don't we want to minimize error?

I think i have to do something along the lines of setting Newtons second law equation = 0, getting my data from the terminal velocities and plugging that into v, and solve for the drag force constant.. should that drag force constant be the slope of the graph since the weights are increasing linearly? i am just completely stuck here.

isukatphysics69 said:
because the error bars are smaller overall. Don't we want to minimize error?
The error bars look longer merely because are plotting the square. The error is the same (though I think you may have plotted some inaccurately; e.g. the top of the bar at the n=4 point in the upper graph appears to be at 1.77, but the corresponding v2 bar goes up to 3.27, not 3.13). Besides, to choose between the two equations the main thing is which looks more like a straight line. Clearly that is the v2 graph.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
The error bars look longer merely because are plotting the square. The error is the same (though I think you may have plotted some inaccurately; e.g. the top of the bar at the n=4 point in the upper graph appears to be at 1.77, but the corresponding v2 bar goes up to 3.27, not 3.13). Besides, to choose between the two equations the main thing is which looks more like a straight line. Clearly that is the v2 graph.
Hi, can you please explain why i should choose the one that looks like a straight line? is it because the drag force is a constant and the slope should increase linearly with respect to the mass because of the constant drag force?

That is my thinking here i don't know why else i would choose the one that looks more like a straight line..

isukatphysics69 said:
why i should choose the one that looks like a straight line?
You are to choose between two equations relating speed to drag force: ##\vec F=-b\vec v## or ##|\vec F|=c{\vec v}^2##, where b and c are (different) constants.
If the first is correct then which one would look like a straight line when plotting |F| against |v|?
What about plotting |F| against v2? What shape curves would the two equations produce?

haruspex said:
You are to choose between two equations relating speed to drag force: ##\vec F=-b\vec v## or ##|\vec F|=c{\vec v}^2##, where b and c are (different) constants.
If the first is correct then which one would look like a straight line when plotting |F| against |v|?
What about plotting |F| against v2? What shape curves would the two equations produce?
I'm just not understanding this.. why exactly does it matter if the function is a straight line? Is it because the masses increase linearly and the coefficient of drag force remains the same? I can't do this problem unless I know why I'm doing it

isukatphysics69 said:
why exactly does it matter if the function is a straight line?
You are asked to choose which of two mathematical models, a linear function of speed or a quadratic function of speed, is a better fit to the data. Do you understand that this is an important sort of thing to be able to determine?

Suppose the real behaviour is that the force varies linearly with speed. If you plot F against v, what shape of graph do you expect? If you plot F against v2 what shape do you expect?
Now suppose the real behaviour is that the force varies as the square of the speed. Same two questions: If you plot F against v, what shape of graph do you expect? If you plot F against v2 what shape do you expect?

Unless you try to answer those questions, I cannot see how to explain further.

This lab is still not making sense to me. I have two velocity vs Mass graphs. I am advised to pick the one that is showing a linear increase of velocity with respect to mass. This is because the mass of an object will determine its terminal velocity. I still don't understand why the situation of v will not work here just simply because i don't understand the physical laws of why an objects terminal velocity will not increase at what looks to be the graph of a logarithm for the v case, i guess its just not how an objects in free fall will reach terminal velocity with respect to mass so i should just take it as is? So now i am told to consider error bars and use my equations to back my claim of why the v^2 case better fits my data, i have all of my data and could plug those values into the equations and solve for the constant but i do not have the T values to there are two uknowns. i guess i could solve for T with one of the equations and plug it into the v^2 case then solve for the constant drag force? This is really doing my head in i am trying to understand it but having a hard time.

isukatphysics69 said:
I have two velocity vs Mass graphs.
No, you have one graph of v against m, and one of v2 against m.
isukatphysics69 said:
I am advised to pick the one that is showing a linear increase of velocity with respect to mass
No, I am saying you should pick the one that is a straight line. In the one case, v against m, that would mean the mass increases linearly with the velocity (or, more in line with the causality, that the velocity increases linearly with the mass); in the other, v2 against m, a straight line would mean that the velocity-squared increases linearly with m, i.e. that the velocity increases as the square root of m.
isukatphysics69 said:
what looks to be the graph of a logarithm for the v case,
No, it is a graph like y=a√x, i.e. v∝√m, i.e. v2∝m.

Likes isukatphysics69
haruspex said:
No, you have one graph of v against m, and one of v2 against m.

No, I am saying you should pick the one that is a straight line. In the one case, v against m, that would mean the mass increases linearly with the velocity (or, more in line with the causality, that the velocity increases linearly with the mass); in the other, v2 against m, a straight line would mean that the velocity-squared increases linearly with m, i.e. that the velocity increases as the square root of m.

No, it is a graph like y=a√x, i.e. v∝√m, i.e. v2∝m.
Ok thank you, i realized i had something wrong in my lab that was making this even more confusing than it already is. i am going to continue trying. the equations i derived above were supposed to be derived later in the lab. all i was supposed to do was set the acceleration = 0 in Newtons equations and solve for velocity...

So now i see one case as vt = mg/b and the other case as vt = sqrt(mg/c)

wow i am a complete moron

ok haruspex i am sorry for that, now what you were saying is making more sense.. i just misread the question before this one and was beyond confused because nothing you were saying was matching to what i had in my lab.

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is the force exerted by air on an object as it moves through it. It is caused by the collisions between the air molecules and the object's surface, which is why it is more noticeable at higher speeds or with larger surface areas.

2. Why is air resistance important to understand in a coffee filter lab?

In a coffee filter lab, air resistance is important to understand because it can affect the rate at which the coffee filter falls. By understanding air resistance, we can make predictions about how different variables, such as surface area or weight, will affect the filter's fall and make accurate conclusions about the experiment.

3. How does air resistance impact the results of the coffee filter lab?

Air resistance can impact the results of the coffee filter lab by slowing down the filter's fall, making it take longer to reach the ground. This can affect the measured time and distance of the fall, potentially altering the calculated values and leading to inaccurate conclusions.

4. How can we minimize the effects of air resistance in the coffee filter lab?

To minimize the effects of air resistance in the coffee filter lab, we can conduct the experiment in a controlled environment, such as a closed room with no air currents. Additionally, using a smaller and more aerodynamic coffee filter can also help reduce the impact of air resistance.

5. Is air resistance the only force acting on the falling coffee filter in the lab?

No, there are other forces acting on the falling coffee filter in the lab, such as gravity and buoyancy. These forces must also be considered and controlled for in the experiment to accurately understand the impact of air resistance on the filter's fall.