Need Help Understanding Heat of Rxn and Q

• Thread starter Lori
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between Hrxn and q and how to calculate the heat released by a reaction. The final answer is 794052 J, but it is important to not round down intermediate results during calculations.
Lori

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-13_21-25-11.png

Homework Equations

q = mCat

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm kinda confused the different between Hrxn and q? I know the reaction warms the water with q=mcat = 150*4.18*(59.5-20)=24766.5 J. This is the heat released from 1.25 grams of Ca which is 0.03 moles of Ca. But, the reaction equation only have calcium per 1 mole so i thought that i would divide q by 0.03 = 825550 J or 825KJ, but this is not an answer.

Can someone help me with these heat problems? Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_21-25-11.png
    upload_2017-12-13_21-25-11.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,699
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind everyone. It seems like i didn't enter enough decimals here. So, my answer is 794052

Exactly. Don't round down intermediate results during calculations (that is, report them rounded down, but calculate with a full accuracy, or at least several "guard digits").

Likes Lori

1. What is the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction, also known as the enthalpy change of reaction, is the amount of heat energy absorbed or released during a chemical reaction. It is a measure of the difference in energy between the reactants and products.

2. How is the heat of reaction calculated?

The heat of reaction is calculated by subtracting the energy of the reactants from the energy of the products. This difference can be determined experimentally using a calorimeter, or it can be calculated using thermodynamic data.

3. What factors affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction is affected by the nature of the reactants and products, the temperature and pressure of the reaction, and the presence of a catalyst. Changes in these factors can alter the amount of heat absorbed or released during the reaction.

4. What is the relationship between heat of reaction and Q?

Q, or reaction quotient, is a measure of the relative amounts of reactants and products in a system at a given moment. The heat of reaction is directly related to Q, as it is a measure of the change in energy between reactants and products. As Q changes, so does the heat of reaction.

5. How does heat of reaction relate to the spontaneity of a reaction?

The heat of reaction is a key factor in determining the spontaneity of a reaction. If the heat of reaction is negative, meaning heat is released, the reaction is exothermic and spontaneous. If the heat of reaction is positive, meaning heat is absorbed, the reaction is endothermic and non-spontaneous. However, other factors such as entropy and Gibbs free energy must also be considered in determining the spontaneity of a reaction.