Need help understanding KOH + Al2O3 reaction

In summary, the conversation concerns a reaction between ruby (Cr:Al2O3) and KOH. The products of this reaction are K2O, Al(OH)3, and Cr(OH)3. Although this reaction seems correct on the surface, K2O is a very unstable compound and does not seem to make sense.
Topher925
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm an ME and am only now starting to get a grip on chemistry.

If I have ruby (Cr:Al2O3) in a humidified air environment that contains KOH, my limited chemistry knowledge tells me that the alkali, KOH, will react with the ruby. However, I can't figure out what the products of this reaction are. Since there is no hydrogen in the alumina, it can't be a acid-base reaction. So, I'm going to guess its a double placement reaction. Based on this, I get the following unbalanced reaction;

KOH + Cr:Al2O3 -> K2O + Al(OH)3 + Cr(OH)3

However, this just doesn't seem right to me as K2O is a rather unstable compound. Am I doing this right? Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Topher925 said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm an ME and am only now starting to get a grip on chemistry.

If I have ruby (Cr:Al2O3) in a humidified air environment that contains KOH, my limited chemistry knowledge tells me that the alkali, KOH, will react with the ruby. However, I can't figure out what the products of this reaction are. Since there is no hydrogen in the alumina, it can't be a acid-base reaction. So, I'm going to guess its a double placement reaction. Based on this, I get the following unbalanced reaction;

KOH + Cr:Al2O3 -> K2O + Al(OH)3 + Cr(OH)3

However, this just doesn't seem right to me as K2O is a rather unstable compound. Am I doing this right? Any help would be much appreciated.
Actually, it is just an acid-base reaction. The acid is Al2O3. Alumina is an "amphiprotic" compound, which means that it can act as base, with strong acids, and as acid, with strong bases. For example, you can also dissolve alumina (always in the form of powder, or it's a very slow process) with K2S2O7, which releases SO3 (a very acid compound) at high temperatures (around 300°C) forming aluminum sulphate.

Your reaction is:

2KOH + Al2O3 + 3H2O --> 2KAl(OH)4

Cr can substitute Al in that reaction.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply LightArrow, it would have taken me forever to figure that out. So, I'm assuming that if there is no water in the mix, a reaction would never take place?

On another note, why did this thread get moved? Its not a course work question.

Related to Need help understanding KOH + Al2O3 reaction

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between KOH and Al2O3?

The chemical equation for this reaction is 2KOH + Al2O3 → 2KAlO2 + H2O.

2. What type of reaction is KOH + Al2O3?

This reaction is a double displacement reaction, specifically an acid-base neutralization reaction.

3. What are the products of the reaction between KOH and Al2O3?

The products of this reaction are potassium aluminate (KAlO2) and water (H2O).

4. Is this reaction exothermic or endothermic?

This reaction is exothermic, meaning it releases heat as a byproduct.

5. What are the uses of KOH + Al2O3 reaction?

This reaction is commonly used in the production of alumina, a key material in the manufacturing of ceramics and glass. It can also be used in the production of potassium hydroxide, a strong base used in various industrial processes.