Need help understanding tires and adhesion

In summary, according to physics F=mu×N. With tires there has to be more that applies. To increase friction, you have to run a stickier rubber compound tire (mu) or increase downforce like with aerodynamic parts (N). But why is it that if you install a new set of tires that is the same coefficient of friction, and you don't change the normal force, but you do go to a wider tire size, how is it possible that a larger contact patch increases traction? There are many factors at play here, first and most importantly is that the tires must reach the optimal operating temperature to achieve maximum grip. There are also tire slip angles which is the angle at which the tire is in relation to the direction
Tire God
According to physics F=mu×N. With tires there has to be more that applies. To increase friction, you have to run a stickier rubber compound tire (mu) or increase downforce like with aerodynamic parts (N). But why is it that if you install a new set of tires that is the same coefficient of friction, and you don't change the normal force, but you do go to a wider tire size, how is it possible that a larger contact patch increases traction?
There are many factors at play here, first and most importantly is that the tires must reach the optimal operating temperature to achieve maximum grip.

There are also tire slip angles which is the angle at which the tire is in relation to the direction of travel of the wheel/rim (optimal slip angles seem to be around 6-10 degrees). Then we have the factor of a wider tire with a shorter sidewall being able to have better steering response and the wider surface area more efficient in evacuating heat, which also leads to longer life.

There are other factors like suspension setups and the pressure per area of the contact patch, and not to mention a vehicles center of gravity and body roll. There is a lot of other things like the way the tires deflect under lateral load, and people actually get better lap times just from changing wheel widths to better fit the tires so the sidewalls can deflect properly.

If you gain traction by putting on a wider tire of the same compound, why does it seem to defy this simple rule? I have read through tire load sensitivity and I'm not sure it answers my question, or maybe I don't understand it fully, as I am not a genius. Hopefully someone has the answer. [emoji27]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tire God said:
According to physics F=mu×N.
That's not a law of physics. It is only a useful approximation, good for many situations but not all.
If you gain traction by putting on a wider tire of the same compound, why does it seem to defy this simple rule? I have read through tire load sensitivity and I'm not sure it answers my question, or maybe I don't understand it fully,
Tire load sensitivity says that in the real world, traction is not directly proportional to normal force -- that for tires, there is no single μ so that F is equal to μN. This would apply if you reduced inflation pressure while increasing the tread width. The contact patch would increase in area, normal force per unit area would reduce and friction per unit area would not reduce by quite as much.

Alternately, a wider tire with inflation pressure held constant would have a contact patch that is wider, but shorter. The tire would deflect less under load and tread squirm would be reduced. This should have an effect of improving grip slightly.

I do not race cars or design tires for a living, so take this for what it is worth.

Likes Tire God
It obviously doesn't apply to rubber or elastic things. I'm sure there are more equations at work here that I am unaware of. So it still stands that tread width/contact patch area alone is not the reason for increased traction? But that there are other factors that come about from having a wider tire that does help with traction?

As I understand it it's very difficult to calculate frictional forces from first principles. In many cases the best we can do is measure it and try and create a model that can help predict what effect changes will have. I note that many racing teams with huge budgets still manage to make wrong tyre choices.

This is a topic which causes lots of arguments on motoring sites. Pressure = Force / Area so for a given pressure and weight of vehicle contact patch is constant. Or is it? As you have pointed out, and what was discovered in 1699 (?) is that friction is independent of contact patch area. Some argue that this is all true and what usually happens is that a wider tyre allows a softer compound and you get better heat dissipation and more material means tougher construction. These wider tyres usually are lower profile too which means they don't deform as much when cornering. as you pointed out. The true enemy according to this view is that heat and mechanical stress are what destroy the tyre and that is why you can't run bicycle tyres on an F1 car, same amount of traction but they are destroyed in a very short time.

I did find a paper (and I will have a look for it) that actually tries to measure normal force and contact patch area, the results are all over the place. Any racer of course knows all the answers or at least think they do. I notice you assume that the larger patch increases traction for the same compound as most people do, but is that correct?

I am quite interested in this topic but it is difficult to discuss especially on motor racing sites because everyone knows the answers, just like they can all feel a 2HP increase.

Cheers

1. How do tires maintain adhesion to the road?

Tires maintain adhesion to the road through a combination of factors, including the tire's tread design, the type of rubber used, and the tire's air pressure. The tread design, or pattern on the surface of the tire, helps to channel water away from the tire and maintain contact with the road. The type of rubber used in the tire also plays a role, as softer rubber provides better grip. Lastly, maintaining proper air pressure in the tires ensures that the tire's entire surface makes contact with the road, maximizing adhesion.

2. What factors affect tire adhesion?

There are several factors that can affect tire adhesion, including the type of road surface, weather conditions, and the condition of the tires themselves. Dry roads typically provide the most traction, while wet or icy roads can significantly reduce adhesion. Additionally, worn or improperly inflated tires can also decrease adhesion, as the tire's contact with the road may be compromised.

3. How does tire tread affect adhesion?

Tire tread is a crucial factor in maintaining adhesion to the road. The tread pattern helps to displace water from the tire's surface, allowing the tire to maintain contact with the road. Additionally, deeper tread grooves provide more channels for water to escape, further improving adhesion. Tires with worn tread can significantly decrease adhesion, especially in wet conditions.

4. Is there a difference in adhesion between different types of tires?

Yes, there is a difference in adhesion between different types of tires. Performance tires are designed for optimal adhesion and typically have a softer rubber compound and more aggressive tread pattern. All-season tires have a balance of grip and durability for various weather conditions. Winter tires have a specialized tread pattern and rubber compound that provides better adhesion in snowy and icy conditions. Ultimately, the type of tire you choose should depend on your driving needs and the conditions you typically encounter.

5. How can I improve tire adhesion?

To improve tire adhesion, you can regularly maintain your tires by checking the tread depth and air pressure and replacing worn tires. Additionally, driving carefully and adjusting your speed in adverse weather conditions can help maintain adhesion. Choosing the right type of tire for your vehicle and driving needs is also crucial in maximizing adhesion on the road.