Wind turbine AC generator's reluctance

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between rotational speed and load connected to a small power wind turbine. The generator rotates freely when open circuit, but when the load is connected, it slows down the rotation. The equation for Newton's 2nd law for rotation is mentioned, with an increase in load resulting in a decrease in rotational speed. The conversation also clarifies that the load refers to the electric load in the turbine's circuit.
Akmalidin
Hi,

I am designing small power wind turbine with output power 3kW. I would like to ask about the rotational speed dependence on the load connected. I know when generator is open circuit it rotates freely. But what about when the load is connected? Does it slow down the rotation? Because, when generator is shorted about 1 or less ohm, it shows reluctance in rotation. Therefore, Please let me know your opinion, experience and feedback.

Thank you,
Akmalidin Alimov

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at this equation, Newton's 2nd law for rotation, and let's forget about friction etc.
[itex]T_{mech}-T_{em}=J\frac{d\omega}{dt}[/itex]​
As you increase your load, i.e. increasing [itex]T_{em}[/itex], your generator slows down. To speed up you need to increase the torque input, [itex]T_{mech}[/itex].

Hi,
By load I mean electric load ( Resistance, etc.) electric circuit which would be connected to the turbine.

The torque [itex]T_{em}[/itex] depends on the electric load. I.e. if you increase your electric load, [itex]T_{em}[/itex] will also increase.

What is a wind turbine AC generator's reluctance?

A wind turbine AC generator's reluctance refers to the tendency of the generator to resist the flow of magnetic flux through its coils. This reluctance is dependent on the design and materials used in the generator, and impacts its efficiency and overall performance.

How does the reluctance affect the performance of a wind turbine AC generator?

The reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator can impact its efficiency, power output, and overall reliability. A higher reluctance can lead to decreased efficiency and power output, while a lower reluctance can improve the generator's performance. It is important for designers and engineers to carefully consider the reluctance when designing a wind turbine AC generator.

What factors influence the reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator?

The reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator is influenced by several factors, including the materials used in the generator's construction, the shape and size of the generator, and the amount of magnetic flux it is exposed to. Additionally, the number and arrangement of coils in the generator can also impact its reluctance.

Can the reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator be adjusted?

Yes, the reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator can be adjusted through various means, such as changing the materials used, altering the design of the generator, or adjusting the amount of magnetic flux it is exposed to. By carefully adjusting the reluctance, engineers can optimize the performance of the generator.

What are the potential drawbacks of decreasing the reluctance in a wind turbine AC generator?

While decreasing the reluctance in a wind turbine AC generator can improve its performance, there can also be potential drawbacks. These may include increased costs for materials or design changes, increased maintenance requirements, and potential trade-offs in other areas of the generator's performance. It is important for designers to carefully consider the potential drawbacks before making any changes to the reluctance of a wind turbine AC generator.