Need help with epsilon delta proof of f(x)=x^4+(1/x) as x goes to 1

In summary, for a given a, we can determine the limit l by finding δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ. Using the definition of a limit, it is possible to manipulate the expression |f(x)-l| to the form |x-a|<δ. By setting δ=min(1,\frac{2ε}{31}), we can show that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ. This proves that the limit of f(x)=x^4+1/x as x approaches 1 is 2.
DeadOriginal

Homework Statement

Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

f(x)=[itex]x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}[/itex], a=1.

Homework Equations

I claim that [itex]\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow 1}x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}=2[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried things like solving for x but all my attempts were fruitless. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
DeadOriginal said:

Homework Statement

Determine the limit l for a given a and prove that it is the limit by showing how to find δ such that |f(x)-l|<ε for all x satisfying 0<|x-a|<δ.

f(x)=[itex]x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}[/itex], a=1.

Homework Equations

I claim that [itex]\lim\limits_{x\rightarrow 1}x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}=2[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried things like solving for x but all my attempts were fruitless. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

$$
|f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| < \epsilon
$$
How can you make the above expression look like [itex]|x-1| < f(x)\epsilon[/itex]? Where f(x) is some expression.
$$
0<x-1<\delta
$$

Dustinsfl said:
$$
|f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| < \epsilon
$$
How can you make the above expression look like [itex]|x-1| < f(x)\epsilon[/itex]? Where f(x) is some expression.
$$
0<x-1<\delta
$$

I thought I could factor it but I wasn't able to.

Can I say, let [itex]\delta_{1}=1[/itex]. Then [itex]|x-1|<1\Rightarrow-1<x-1<1\Rightarrow0<x<1[/itex]. Then [itex]0<x^{4}<16[/itex]. We then also have [itex]1/2<\frac{1}{x}[/itex].

That feels like it is a dead end not to mention that it doesn't look like itll become |x-1| anytime soon.

You need to use this definition :

[itex]\forallε>0, \existsδ>0 | 0 < |x-a| < δ \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < ε[/itex]

You want to find a delta that will satisfy this definition. The trick with these sorts of problems is to massage |f(x)-L| until you are in the form |x-a| < δ.

[itex]|f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| = |\frac{x^5-2x+1}{x}| = |x-1||x^4+x^3+x^2+x-1|\frac{1}{|x|}[/itex]

Now ask yourself... using the definition, what can you do to manipulate this expression into a suitable δ.

EDIT : Also the triangle inequality will be useful here : |a+b| ≤ |a| + |b|

Zondrina said:
You need to use this definition :

[itex]\forallε>0, \existsδ>0 | 0 < |x-a| < δ \Rightarrow |f(x) - L| < ε[/itex]

You want to find a delta that will satisfy this definition. The trick with these sorts of problems is to massage |f(x)-L| until you are in the form |x-a| < δ.

[itex]|f(x) - L| = \left|x^4+\frac{1}{x} - 2\right| = |\frac{x^5-2x+1}{x}| = |x-1||x^4+x^3+x^2+x-1|\frac{1}{|x|}[/itex]

Now ask yourself... using the definition, what can you do to manipulate this expression into a suitable δ.

EDIT : Also the triangle inequality will be useful here : |a+b| ≤ |a| + |b|

Is there a certain way to factor out functions like that? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to factor it...

DeadOriginal said:
Is there a certain way to factor out functions like that? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to factor it...

I cheated a bit since i know that the |x-a| factor is ALWAYS going to show up when you massage your |f(x)-L| expression. I used polynomial long division coupled with the factor & remainder theorems.

Looks like its time to brush up on long division... Thanks a lot! I think I can take it from here.

Ok. Here is my attempt at the proof.

Proof: Suppose we are given ε>0. Then choose δ=min(1,[itex]\frac{2\epsilon}{31})[/itex].
Thus we have
[itex]
\begin{align*}
0<|x-1|<δ &\Rightarrow|x-a|<\frac{2\epsilon}{31}.
\end{align*}
[/itex]

Now we will set [itex]|x-1|<1\Rightarrow-1\leq x-1\leq 1\Rightarrow 0<x<2.[/itex] Note that [itex]|x-1|\leq|x|+|-1|=|x|+1[/itex]. Then since |x|<2, we have [itex]|x|+1<2+1=3.[/itex] Thus [itex]|x-1|<3[/itex]/
Note that [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|\leq|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}|+|x-1|<|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}|+3\leq|x^{4}+x^{3}|+|x^{2}|+3.[/itex] Now since |x|<2, we have [itex]|x^{2}|<2^{2}=4[/itex] so [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}|+|x^{2}|+3<|x^{4}+x^{3}|+4+3=|x^{4}+x^{3}|+7\leq|x^{4}|+|x^{3}|+7[/itex]. Now [itex]|x^{4}|<2^{4}=16[/itex] and [itex]|x^{3}|<2^{3}=8[/itex] so [itex]|x^{4}|+|x^{3}|+7<16+8+7=31[/itex]. Thus [itex]|x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<31[/itex].

Then it follows that
[itex]
\begin{align*}
|x-a|<\frac{2\epsilon}{31} &\Rightarrow\frac{1}{|x|}|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<\frac{2\cdot 31\cdot\epsilon}{2\cdot 31}\\
&\Rightarrow \frac{1}{|x|}|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|<\epsilon\\
&\Rightarrow \frac{|x-1||x^{4}+x^{3}+x^{2}+x-1|}{|x|}<\epsilon\\
&\Rightarrow \frac{|x^{5}-2x+1|}{|x|}<\epsilon\\
&\Rightarrow |x^{4}+\frac{1}{x}-2|<\epsilon.
\end{align*}
[/itex]
This completes the proof.

How does this look?

1. What is an epsilon delta proof?

An epsilon delta proof is a way of rigorously proving the limit of a function using the concept of limits and the definition of continuity. It involves choosing an arbitrary small value (epsilon) and finding a corresponding value (delta) such that when the input of the function is within delta distance from the limit point, the output of the function is within epsilon distance from the limit.

2. How do I start an epsilon delta proof?

To start an epsilon delta proof, first write out the definition of the limit using the given function and the limit point. Then, introduce the arbitrary small value (epsilon) and define a corresponding value (delta) in terms of epsilon. Finally, use algebra and the properties of limits to manipulate the expression until it matches the definition of the limit.

3. What is the goal of an epsilon delta proof?

The goal of an epsilon delta proof is to show that the limit of a function exists and is equal to a specific value. This is done by finding a delta value that works for any given epsilon, demonstrating that the function gets arbitrarily close to the limit point as the input approaches the limit point.

4. How do I choose a delta value in an epsilon delta proof?

In an epsilon delta proof, the delta value is chosen based on the given epsilon value and the properties of the function. It should be small enough to ensure that the output of the function is within epsilon distance from the limit for any input within delta distance from the limit point. It is often helpful to work backwards from the desired result to determine the appropriate delta value.

5. Are there any tips for completing an epsilon delta proof?

One tip for completing an epsilon delta proof is to work with absolute values to ensure that the output of the function is always positive. Another tip is to use the triangle inequality to manipulate expressions and simplify the proof. It is also important to carefully choose the delta value, as it can greatly impact the difficulty of the proof.