Need help with Physics with trigonometry problems ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of Hurricane Michael, which had a wind speed of 69 m/s and a building with a flat roof of 200 m². It then goes on to talk about the pressure difference and force acting on the roof, as well as the speed and distance traveled by water coming out of a hole in a water tower after the storm. Bernoulli's equation is used to calculate the pressure difference, which is found to be 3070 PA. The other questions are left for the reader to figure out.
gamergirlxoxox
3) Hurricane Michael had horizontal winds of Vout = 69 m/s (155 mph). Pair = 1.29 kg/m3. A building with a flat, horizontal roof, Aroof = 200 m2, and Vin = 0 m/s.

a) What is the pressure difference, Pin - Pout on the roof. Assume Yin = Yout.

b) What is the force acting on the roof, and what is the direction of this force ?

c) What is this force in pounds ? 1 N = .225 lb.

After the storm, it is found that a small object has been driven into the water tower. The water level inside the water tower is 12 meters above the ground. The height of the hole is 9 meters above the ground. The object is removed and water sprays out.

d) Considering the hole and the tower, what is the speed of the water coming out of the hole ? Assume Vin = 0 and Pin = Pout = Patm.

e) If the hole is 9 meters above the ground, how long does it take the water to hit the ground ?

f) With the speed the water has, and the time to hit the ground, how far does it travel horizontally ?

So, I'm not sure if I did it right but what I did for part A was use the Bernoulli's equation:

P1 + 1/2pv1= P2 + 1/2pv2

Delta P (P2-P1)= 1/2pv21 - 1/2pv22

Delta P = 1/2p (V21 - V22)

Delta P = 1/2 (1.29 kg/m3) (692 m/s - 02 m/s)

Delta P = 3070 PA

I'm not sure if I'm correct though so I didn't really attempt to do the other questions to this problem in case I'm wrong.. I'll gladly appreciate it if someone could help me out.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey gamergirlxoxox! Welcome to MHB! ;)

You are entirely correct.

Here's a video where it's explained:
[YOUTUBE]cUMspps8d8A[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks ! I think I can probably figure the rest out now

What is the best approach to solving Physics problems involving trigonometry?

The best approach to solving Physics problems involving trigonometry is to first identify the given variables and draw a clear diagram to visualize the problem. Then, use the appropriate trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) to solve for the missing variables. It is important to understand the relationship between the given variables and the trigonometric functions in order to select the correct equation to use.

How do I know which trigonometric function to use in a Physics problem?

The trigonometric function to use in a Physics problem depends on the given variables and the type of problem. For example, if the problem involves finding the angle of a right triangle, you would use inverse trigonometric functions (arcsine, arccosine, arctangent) to solve for the angle. If the problem involves finding the length of a side of a triangle, you would use sine, cosine, or tangent depending on the given information.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Physics problems with trigonometry?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Physics problems with trigonometry include using the wrong trigonometric function, using the wrong unit for angles (degrees vs radians), and not considering the appropriate sign (+ or -) for the given variables. It is also important to double check your calculations and units to ensure they are consistent and make sense in the context of the problem.

Can I use a calculator to solve Physics problems with trigonometry?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Physics problems with trigonometry. However, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and equations involved in order to use the calculator effectively. Also, make sure to use the correct mode (degrees or radians) when using trigonometric functions on a calculator.

Are there any helpful tips for solving Physics problems with trigonometry?

One helpful tip for solving Physics problems with trigonometry is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. This can involve drawing a diagram, identifying the given variables, and then using the appropriate equations and trigonometric functions to solve for the missing variables. It can also be helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common trigonometric identities and basic trigonometric relationships.