Need help with project -- power steering system design

In summary: There are many available online or in bookstores.Once you have a general idea of what you need to design, you can start looking for specific information.
christyu
Design Project

You will undertake a detailed engineering design of a specified product. This will include:
- Analysis of all functional requirement of the product
- Consideration of various preliminary design options (possible solutions)
- Detailed analysis of engineering performance (analytical and FEA); e.g. stress, deflection, stability (buckling etc.), fatigue, strength of joints (welds, bolts, screws, rivets, adhesives etc.)
- Preliminary proposal of manufacturing methods and materials for custom components and overall assembly of the final product
- Details of off-the-shelf components to be used
- Cost estimate

This is my first project with no prior engineering experience so I'm not sure about the initial approaches.The project topic that I need to work on is power steering system which I have no knowledge of (I'm going to go through all information and learn them using the internet). As the power steering system is quite a broad term, I'll have to choose specific part of the power steering system to narrow things down (professor agreed to this). Could you guys provide any helpful advices of what I should go for along with simple design suggestion?

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone? this is ME405 machine design course, I'm having lot of trouble with this.

christyu said:
Design Project

You will undertake a detailed engineering design of a specified product. This will include:
- Analysis of all functional requirement of the product
- Consideration of various preliminary design options (possible solutions)
- Detailed analysis of engineering performance (analytical and FEA); e.g. stress, deflection, stability (buckling etc.), fatigue, strength of joints (welds, bolts, screws, rivets, adhesives etc.)
- Preliminary proposal of manufacturing methods and materials for custom components and overall assembly of the final product
- Details of off-the-shelf components to be used
- Cost estimate

This is my first project with no prior engineering experience so I'm not sure about the initial approaches.The project topic that I need to work on is power steering system which I have no knowledge of (I'm going to go through all information and learn them using the internet). As the power steering system is quite a broad term, I'll have to choose specific part of the power steering system to narrow things down (professor agreed to this). Could you guys provide any helpful advices of what I should go for along with simple design suggestion?

thank you

Please show us your work so far. What have you learned from your reading? What links exactly have you been reading about power-assist steering mechanisms? How much of the list of questions above have you been able to fill out so far from your reading?

This is my first time doing something like this so I didn't want it to be something so complicated.

I was thinking about modeling the rack and pinion and test for stresses under various loading schemes. What those would be will be partially determined by the mounting scheme for the wheels, as the rack may see only some of the forces.

Problem is that I just don't know how to initiate this idea into reality, like where to start.

Is there a website where I can find the basic FEA or free-body-diagram of the rack and pinion to see how everything is set up in general?

This is my first design class and although it's called Machine Design, man we didn't really learn anything about what basic things to follow for modeling/designing...

Can anyone provide an advice for this?

Last edited:
A design project does not start with FEA. First you need to define exactly what it is you are designing.
Follow the layout you've been given.

""- Analysis of all functional requirement of the product""

What does it need to do? Which will probably include safety, power, size, cost etc considerations.

I suggest you get a book about the engineering design process.

1. What is a power steering system?

A power steering system is a mechanism in a vehicle that helps the driver steer the wheels with less effort. It uses hydraulic or electric power to assist in turning the wheels.

2. How does a power steering system work?

A power steering system typically consists of a pump, fluid reservoir, steering gear, and hoses. When the driver turns the steering wheel, the pump pressurizes the power steering fluid and sends it to the steering gear, which then helps turn the wheels.

3. What are the components of a power steering system?

The main components of a power steering system include the pump, fluid reservoir, steering gear, hoses, and a belt or electric motor. Some systems may also have a power steering control module or sensor.

4. What are some common problems with power steering systems?

Common issues with power steering systems include leaks in the hoses or reservoir, a malfunctioning pump or motor, and fluid contamination. Other problems may include difficulty turning the wheel, strange noises, or a loss of power steering assistance.

5. How can I maintain my power steering system?

To ensure your power steering system remains in good condition, it is important to regularly check the fluid level and replace it when necessary. It is also recommended to have the system inspected by a mechanic every 50,000 miles or as recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer.