Design of a Simple Weight Transportation System

In summary: Do you have any suggestions on how to overcome this?Thanks for the suggestions, I definitely need to think about this some more. I appreciate any help you can offer!In summary, the concept of a rubberband powered rover is to use resistance bands to create tension on an axle and when the tension is released, the axle rotates and the wheels move. The main problem the inventor is facing is that the rubber band must be thick enough to withstand the force of 300lbs and the rubber band must be elastic enough to wrap around the axle enough times to cause the wheels to rotate. The inventor is unsure if a 300lb resistance band would
Cal-cool-us
Hey guys, hope this is in the right place first off, but anyway, for one of our engineering projects we are required to design a "rover" that can transport a maximum of 40 pounds (the increments in weight increases by 10lbs per run starting at 10lbs and ending at 40) a minimum distance of ~20 feet. The constraints are that it can use no electric power of any form or any type of fuel, compressed gas, combustion, etc. It must also fit a profile of 2'x2'x3' and the total cost cannot exceed 80$.

The solution I have in mind currently is that I would simply take the concept of how one of those rubber band cars work and try to apply it in a scaled up version. Essentially I was looking at 300lb resistance bands that are wrapped around an axle to create tension in the band and when the tension is released the axle rotates thus causing the wheels to move.

The main problem I am facing currently with this design is firstly, to withstand a perpendicular force of 300lbs I would need a very thick axle which would have a high circumference and so I would need more elasticity in the bands to be able to wrap around the axle enough times to cause enough rotations of the wheels to travel the distance that I need. Would my concept work in practice? Or is there a better way to go about this that I am not thinking of? I appreciate any and all help that can be provided. Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cal-cool-us said:
Hey guys, hope this is in the right place first off, but anyway, for one of our engineering projects we are required to design a "rover" that can transport a maximum of 40 pounds (the increments in weight increases by 10lbs per run starting at 10lbs and ending at 40) a minimum distance of ~20 feet. The constraints are that it can use no electric power of any form or any type of fuel, compressed gas, combustion, etc. It must also fit a profile of 2'x2'x3' and the total cost cannot exceed 80$.

The solution I have in mind currently is that I would simply take the concept of how one of those rubber band cars work and try to apply it in a scaled up version. Essentially I was looking at 300lb resistance bands that are wrapped around an axle to create tension in the band and when the tension is released the axle rotates thus causing the wheels to move.

The main problem I am facing currently with this design is firstly, to withstand a perpendicular force of 300lbs I would need a very thick axle which would have a high circumference and so I would need more elasticity in the bands to be able to wrap around the axle enough times to cause enough rotations of the wheels to travel the distance that I need. Would my concept work in practice? Or is there a better way to go about this that I am not thinking of? I appreciate any and all help that can be provided. Thanks guys!
Welcome to the PF.

Can you post a sketch of your concept? I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Also, can you just use the potential energy of the weight to power the rover? Once on the vehicle, the weight slowly falls through your max allowed height and you convert that motion into horizontal motion via gears of some sort... :smile:

Thank you for the welcome! My drawing skills are pretty horrendous...the extent of them amounts to little more than stick figured I'm afraid. :biggrin: I can try to help you visualize it by explaining better perhaps. Think of a rubber band powered car. The rubber band is usually anchored at one end of the car and is stretched towards, say, the rear axle. The axle is then twisted to wrap the rubber band around the axle and once let go, the rubber band tries to release its tension which involves unraveling itself from the axle and causing the wheels to turn. If you skip to around 10:30 of this video, you can see a better visualization of how it works in principle:

Now, obviously to get the kind of force I need for this project, I need to scale it up, though this is where I am unsure if a 300lb resistance band would do the trick. I could always add a second band, but at that point I am worried the force on the axle would be too great. Do you think I would be able to get the type of results I need from this method? As for what you are proposing, using the potential energy seems like a very good idea, though with the lighter weights such as 10 and 20 lbs I am not sure it would have enough energy to move the rover 20-30 feet especially depending on how much the rover itself will weigh and considering the maximum height I could achieve is 3 feet (probably going to use wood for the rover since it is much easier for me to work with). I am also admittedly bad at actually designing and building things for the most part due to my lack of experience, so I am unsure if gearing it is within my limited skillset, though if you could explain to me a general idea of how to go about it, that would be of great help as well. Thank you for the input so far, though, it is greatly appreciated!

Using the PE of the load means that the heavier the load the more energy you have available to move it. Nice.

What is the surface like? If it's smooth and you use hard tyres you won't need much power to move it.

Is it a timed run?

The surface is said to be "...mostly smooth and paved though there will most likely be minor height variations simulating possible terrain on Mars..." which is a bit gimmicky but I digress, the run is timed but time matters only in determining the overall winner of the competition. Winning would be nice and all but I have been so bogged down with other work I don't have much time left to get my prototype tested and all the bugs worked out (One day I will learn to stop procrastinating!). I like the idea of utilizing the actual weight of the payload to propel the vehicle, but I am just unsure how to implement it in practice. With only 3 feet of height to work with my total potential energy (especially with the lighter loads) I worry would not be sufficient without extensive gearing and figuring out proper gear ratios. My concern is increased even more considering I have NO idea how I would even begin to implement gears into such a system since I have never really worked on/designed something that utilized them.

1. What is the purpose of a simple weight transportation system?

The purpose of a simple weight transportation system is to efficiently move heavy objects from one location to another. This can be done manually or with the use of machines.

2. How does a simple weight transportation system work?

A simple weight transportation system typically consists of a platform or carriage, wheels or rollers, and a method of propulsion or manual pushing or pulling. The weight to be transported is placed on the platform and the wheels or rollers allow for smooth movement.

3. What are the benefits of using a simple weight transportation system?

Using a simple weight transportation system can save time and effort in moving heavy objects, reduce the risk of injury for workers, and increase overall efficiency in a workspace.

4. What are some factors to consider when designing a simple weight transportation system?

Some factors to consider when designing a simple weight transportation system include the weight and size of the objects to be transported, the distance and terrain of the transportation route, and the capabilities and limitations of the individuals or machinery handling the system.

5. How can a simple weight transportation system be improved or optimized?

To improve or optimize a simple weight transportation system, designers can use materials that are lightweight but strong, incorporate efficient propulsion mechanisms, and regularly maintain and update the system to ensure safe and smooth operation.