Need help with question please

• Thread starter predentalgirl1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the gauge pressure needed to compress water, finding the height and weight of a steel bar exerting this pressure, and the total weight of steel needed to exert this pressure on a liter of water.
predentalgirl1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried and tried to figure this out but I'm getting no where. Can anyone help me?

(a) Calculate the gauge pressure (it does not include atmosphereric P) required to compress pure water from 1.000 L to 989 mL. Give an answer in both N/m^2 and psi, lb/in^2.

(b) What height in meters and feet of a 1x1 cm^2 steel bar (density=7.86 g/cm^3) is required to exert the pressure found in part (a)?

(c) How many total pounds of steel would be required to exert this pressure on one cubic face of a liter of water (1 L= 1 cubic decimeter)?

Physics news on Phys.org
a. Use the formula for bulk modulus. B = delta P/(delta v)/v. B for water is 2.2*10^9 N/m^2.

I hope the other answers will follow.

I am happy to help you with this question. Let's break down each part and address them one by one.

(a) To calculate the gauge pressure required to compress pure water from 1.000 L to 989 mL, we can use the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area. In this case, the force is the weight of the water, which can be calculated using its density and volume. The area is the cross-sectional area of the container, which is the same as the area of the water surface. The water surface area can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the container.

Using the given values, we can calculate the gauge pressure as follows:

P = (m*g)/A

m = density * volume = 1000 kg/m^3 * (1.000 L - 0.989 L) = 11 kg

A = πr^2 = π * (0.1 m)^2 = 0.0314 m^2

gauge pressure = (11 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) / 0.0314 m^2 = 3,508 N/m^2

To convert this to psi, we can use the conversion factor 1 psi = 6,894.76 N/m^2. Therefore, the gauge pressure is 0.509 psi or 0.509 lb/in^2.

(b) To find the height of the steel bar required to exert this pressure, we can use the same formula P = F/A and rearrange it to find the height h:

h = P*A/(ρ*g)

P = 3,508 N/m^2 (found in part a)

A = 1 cm^2 = 0.0001 m^2

ρ = 7.86 g/cm^3 = 7,860 kg/m^3

g = 9.8 m/s^2

Plugging in the values, we get:

h = (3,508 N/m^2 * 0.0001 m^2) / (7,860 kg/m^3 * 9.8 m/s^2) = 0.0000448 m = 0.0448 mm

To convert this to feet, we can use the conversion factor 1 mm =

1. What do you need help with?

As a scientist, I am often asked for assistance with various research questions, experiments, and data analysis. It is important to have a clear understanding of the specific question or problem in order to provide the most effective help.

2. Can you explain the question or problem in more detail?

In order to provide accurate and helpful assistance, I may need more information about the question or problem. This may include specific variables, procedures, or data sets that are relevant to the issue at hand.

3. What methods or techniques should I use to solve this problem?

Depending on the nature of the question or problem, there may be various methods or techniques that can be used to find a solution. As a scientist, I can offer guidance on the most appropriate and effective approach for the specific situation.

4. How do I interpret the results or data?

Data analysis can be complex and it is not always easy to interpret the results. As a scientist, I can provide guidance on how to properly analyze and interpret the data to draw accurate conclusions.

5. Are there any potential limitations or sources of error in my research or experiment?

It is important to consider potential limitations or sources of error in any scientific research or experiment. As a scientist, I can help identify and address these issues to ensure the validity and reliability of the results.