Need Help with SD Questions in Phil Course

• Thread starter Kwiatkowski18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sd
In summary, my teacher threw us a couple of questions on SD that I know hardly anything about. The first one one to come up with correct answers receives an additional 10% on our next paper. I would really like to answer them all myself, but I don't have the information about SD to do them as I have never taken a Phil course regarding Logics. So please, if anyone could solve these for me, that would be wicked.
Kwiatkowski18
My teacher threw us a couple of questions on SD that I know hardly anything about. The first one one to come up with correct answers receives an additional 10% on our next paper. I would really like to answer them all myself, but I don't have the information about SD to do them as I have never taken a Phil course regarding Logics. So please, if anyone could solve these for me, that would be wicked.

Legend: >=horeshoe = is triplebar

1. Prove that the following derivability claim holds in SD.
{(t > a) & (~t > b), a > ~l} deriviation: l > b

2. SHow that the following set of sentences is inconsistent in SD.
{(a v ~c) > ~b), ~b = (q & ~q), ~c v a}

3. Show that the members of the following pair of sentences are equivalent in SD.
a = b ~a = ~b

4. Show that the following argument is valid in SD.
(b & (e v g))
(b & g) = h
(h > f) & ~e

Thanks guys/girls.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not post the same topic in more than one forum. We do not supply answers to schoolwork here. If you are having trouble solving a problem and show what you have done so far and where you are stuck, someone might give you suggestions on what you might do to try to solve it yourself.

Sorry about the double post. But it isn't technically for marks as it isn't in our curriculum. It's just for bonus marks if someone can come up with it. The teacher says he doesn't care how we came up with it, he just wants to see if anyone could come up with it.

That's fine, but you still need to show what you've tried so far. Or at least explain where you are stuck so someone has some starting point to work with you on the problems.

I'm sure when your teacher said he doesn't care how you come up with the answers, he didn't maen to just ask someone for the answers, I think he hoped you would would attempt to reason it out. :smile:

Obviously, without any prior knowledge on the subject, he wouldn't have expected us to get our own answers. He sent us on a treasure hunt. Some kids are going to other professors in the morning but I want to beat them all and hopefully get the answers tonight from here so I can lock up the extra percent on my next paper.

Well, good luck then.

I had an insane history teacher in the 10th grade. We never opened our book the entire year. Each class he'd talk about his vacuum cleaner or his health or the cost of car repairs. Once a week our assignment was to have a full page of writing on any subject. The first time I chose a subject and did a lot of research and it was a great paper. He told us to place the papers on our desk and he walked down the isle and wrote either "A" or "F" without reading them. He wrote "F" on my paper and started to walk off and I told him he didn't even read it. He said I left the last two lines blank, so it wasn't a full page. From then on I just turned in a full page of words that said nothing and got straight A's. I even got bonus points for extra assignments like "draw a fence in Africa". I drew a fence and a giraffe standing next to it.

The point is, I didn't learn anything that year.

Last edited:
Thank you.

1. What is SD in philosophy?

SD stands for "sufficient determinism" and is a principle in philosophy that states that every event or phenomenon has a sufficient cause or explanation. In other words, everything that happens has a reason for happening.

2. What are some examples of SD in everyday life?

Some examples of SD in everyday life include the law of cause and effect, where one action leads to another, and the idea that our thoughts and actions are influenced by our past experiences and environment.

3. How does SD relate to free will?

SD does not necessarily contradict the concept of free will. While it suggests that our actions and choices are determined by external factors, it also acknowledges that we have the ability to make decisions and act upon them.

4. What are some criticisms of SD?

One criticism of SD is that it can be reductionist and oversimplify complex phenomena. It also raises questions about the existence of true randomness and the role of consciousness in decision-making.

5. How does SD relate to other philosophical theories?

SD is often contrasted with indeterminism, which suggests that there are events that do not have a sufficient cause. It also has connections to determinism, which argues that all events are predetermined by past events and natural laws.