Need help with simple acceleration problems.

In summary, Craig reached a speed of 133.5 km/h while passing a slower vehicle before spotting a police cruiser and slowing down to 100 km/h in 0.9 seconds. The initial velocity was 133.5 km/h and the final velocity was 100 km/h. To find the displacement, the equation delta s=vi(t)+ 1/2(a)t^2 can be used assuming constant acceleration.
ksaechao
Here's one:

Craig got up to 133.5 km/h getting around a slower vehicle within the length of the passing lane. He then spotted a police cruiser coming around the corner and hit the brakes, slowing to 100 km/h in 0.9 seconds. How much distance did he travel in this time

So I'm pretty much confused with accleration problems and identifying intial velocity and final velocity. I kow that t=.9 secs. So is the initial velocity 133.5 km/h and final velocity is 100 km/h?

Would I first use the delta s=vi(t)+ 1/2(a)t^2 equation to find the displacement of when he slowed down?

Physics news on Phys.org
ksaechao said:
Here's one:

Craig got up to 133.5 km/h getting around a slower vehicle within the length of the passing lane. He then spotted a police cruiser coming around the corner and hit the brakes, slowing to 100 km/h in 0.9 seconds. How much distance did he travel in this time

So I'm pretty much confused with accleration problems and identifying intial velocity and final velocity. I kow that t=.9 secs. So is the initial velocity 133.5 km/h and final velocity is 100 km/h?
yes.

Would I first use the delta s=vi(t)+ 1/2(a)t^2 equation to find the displacement of when he slowed down?

to use this you need to assume that acceleration is constant. at this stage you have only 3 known variables: u, v and t. but from these you can work out the average (de)acceleration

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given information and what is being asked. In this case, we are given the initial velocity (133.5 km/h), final velocity (100 km/h), and time (0.9 seconds). We are being asked to find the distance traveled during this time.

Next, I would use the formula for acceleration (a) to solve for the acceleration of the vehicle. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. Plugging in the given values, we get a = (100 km/h - 133.5 km/h)/0.9 s = -37.5 km/h/s.

Since we now know the acceleration, we can use the formula for displacement (s) to solve for the distance traveled. The formula for displacement is s = vi(t) + 1/2(a)t^2, where vi is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration. Plugging in the given values, we get s = (133.5 km/h)(0.9 s) + 1/2(-37.5 km/h/s)(0.9 s)^2 = 119.25 km.

Therefore, Craig traveled 119.25 km during the 0.9 seconds it took for him to slow down from 133.5 km/h to 100 km/h. It is important to clearly identify and use the correct formulas in solving acceleration problems. I hope this helps with your understanding of acceleration and solving similar problems in the future.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It describes how quickly an object's velocity is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are some examples of acceleration?

Some examples of acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down, a ball falling towards the ground, and a rocket launching into space. In all of these cases, the object's velocity is changing, and therefore it is experiencing acceleration.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity and acceleration are related but are not the same. Velocity describes an object's speed and direction of motion, while acceleration describes the rate at which an object's velocity is changing. In other words, velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

5. How can I solve simple acceleration problems?

To solve simple acceleration problems, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Make sure to pay attention to the units of measurement and use consistent units throughout the problem. It can also be helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the problem and identify known and unknown values.