Need help with soave-redlich-kwong equation.

• Thread starter reed2100
  • Start date
In summary: He is asking for help, and you are asking for advice. You think that you can solve the equation, but you need a good initial guess.
reed2100
I'm in a reservoir fluids class and currently we're going over some equations of state. In a homework assignment he asks us the following :

"You are provided that there is a hydrocarbon mixture of methane (28 mol %), ethane (24 mol %), propane (14 mol %), n-butane (20 mol %), i-butane (3 mol %), n-pentane (6 mol %), n-hexane (3 mol %) and n-heptane (2 mol %). You are asked to calculate the molar volume of this mixture at P=500 psia and T = 68, 90, 120, 150 and 180 oF; and at P=1500 psia and T = 180, 200, 220 and 250 oF. Use the generalized correlation chart and the Redlich Kwong Soave Equation of State to solve this."

Now, I've looked at the equation over and over, and I know the mixing rules to get the proper constants. However, I can't seem to rearrange the redlich kwong equation into a form that gives me molar volume as a function of temperature and pressure. I know I can also say "V=ZRT/P", but that would require me to find a z factor for this mixture, correct? And I would have to find some chart, probably this generalized correlation chart the problem mentions? Or is that not the right way to go about this? I chose to do these problems in matlab, so I thought maybe I could just use vectors of Pressure and volume for each temperature given to me to make the calculations, and look at the resulting plots for each isotherm to find the molar volume at the pressure I was given for said isotherm.

Do you think I'm overthinking this? Am I missing something, can I put the equation into a form of V=f(T,P)? I'm not seeing how, but if I could that would make this much easier. However, I feel like that's not the right way because he mentioned the charts, which makes me think of z factors for mixtures? I'm not sure how I should approach this. Any and all help is appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's suppose that you have developed the RKS parameters for the combination of species, and now you have to use the RKS equation to determine what you want to determine. The general form of the RKS equation is f(V,P,T)=0. So now, you have P and T, and you need to solve for V. So you have a non-linear algebraic equation to solve for V. You can use Newton's method to solve, but you need a good initial guess. What do you think a good initial guess would be?

Chet

1. What is the Soave-Redlich-Kwong equation?

The Soave-Redlich-Kwong (SRK) equation is an equation of state used in thermodynamics to estimate the properties of gases and liquids. It is based on the principle that the behavior of real gases and liquids can be approximated by an ideal gas with corrections for intermolecular forces and molecular size.

2. How is the SRK equation different from other equations of state?

The SRK equation is considered to be an improvement over the older van der Waals equation, as it takes into account the non-ideal behavior of gases at high pressures and low temperatures. It also includes a term for the attractive forces between molecules, which allows for more accurate predictions of properties such as vapor pressure and compressibility.

3. What are the advantages of using the SRK equation?

The SRK equation has been shown to be accurate for a wide range of temperatures, pressures, and compositions, making it applicable to a variety of real-world systems. It also has a simple and intuitive form, making it relatively easy to use in calculations and computer simulations.

4. What are the limitations of the SRK equation?

While the SRK equation is more accurate than the van der Waals equation, it still has limitations. It does not take into account polar molecules or mixtures of different gases, and it may not accurately predict properties at extreme conditions. Additionally, it is not suitable for use with highly non-ideal systems.

5. How is the SRK equation used in practice?

The SRK equation is commonly used in the petrochemical industry for the design and optimization of processes involving gases and liquids. It is also used in thermodynamic software packages and databases to calculate properties such as vapor-liquid equilibria and heat capacities. Additionally, it is used in research and development to model and understand the behavior of complex systems.