Need Help with this Step in a DE solution

• I
  • Thread starter bigmike94
  • Start date
In summary, a DE (differential equation) solution is a mathematical function that satisfies a given differential equation and is used to model real-world phenomena in various fields. Help may be needed with certain steps in the solution process due to the complexity of DE solutions and the need for a deep understanding of calculus. There are various resources available for getting help, such as consulting a professor or tutor, joining study groups or online forums, or using online resources. Common mistakes in solving DE solutions include incorrect application of mathematical rules, lack of understanding of the problem, and errors in algebraic manipulations. To improve skills in solving DE solutions, it is important to practice and review fundamental concepts in calculus, and seek feedback from others.
bigmike94
TL;DR Summary
There's a step in this book which i am not sure i follow
at the bottom where it says equation 6.35, the magnitude of C, how do we get from equation 6.34 to 6.35? I separated the fraction into 2, one with a real part and the other imaginary and tried taking the magnitude then and didn't come up with the same as in the book. Can someone help show me what I am missing, please?
1669986818995.png

Attachments

• 1669986757628.png
    1669986757628.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 100
Physics news on Phys.org
This is simply the complex norm: ##C=\dfrac{1}{x+iy}=\dfrac{x-iy}{(x+iy)(x-iy)}\Rightarrow |C|=\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}=r.##

Likes bigmike94

1. What is a DE solution?

A DE solution refers to the solution of a differential equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is typically used to model various phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why do I need help with this step in a DE solution?

Solving a differential equation can be a complex and challenging process, requiring knowledge of various mathematical techniques and concepts. It is common for individuals to seek help with certain steps in the solution process to ensure accuracy and understanding.

3. What is the importance of solving a DE solution?

Solving a differential equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It also helps in making accurate predictions and decisions in real-world applications.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving DE solutions?

Practicing and familiarizing yourself with different types of differential equations and their solution techniques is the best way to improve your skills. You can also seek guidance from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor to help you understand and solve complex problems.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a DE solution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a DE solution include incorrect application of solution techniques, making arithmetic errors, and not checking the final solution for accuracy. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.