Need some help with nonlinear integration

In summary, the author is trying to automate pendulums in a scene by integrating nonlinear equations. However, he is having difficulty doing so and needs help from someone more experienced.
mattm
Hello

I study animation, and I wanted to make a script where I can automate pendulums in my scene with some kind of realistic physics, rather than animate them manually.

So 'right' I think, 'I need to go study some physics and maths' - but it wasnt as easy as I hoped, I've hit a wall, and it is the nonlinear integration of the second order D.E:

y" = -(g/L)sin(y)

So from my limited understanding, this equation is non-linear due to the absence of y', and because y is a function of sin.

Its seems the only hints I've been able to get is that integrating it is not a particually easy thing to do, with references only giving me parameters to enter into mathematics software for computation.The problem is, I essentially need to write my own software(script), and without understanding what is going on, I cant.

If I could get some better idea of what is involved, then I can decide if its going to be worth my while spending more time trying to do this now, or if I need a diploma in advanced mathematics first :)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Non linear problems are best dealt with numerically. If you must solve the nonlinear equation look into a Runga Kutta method. If you keep the oscillations of your pendulum small (< .2 rad or ~10deg) you can use the usual approach and let sin [itex] \Theta [/itex] = [itex] \Theta [/itex] then the problem is linear and easily solved.

Thankyou Integral, I will look into the Runga-Kutta method.

I would like to be able to calculate large angle pendulums, upto 180 degrees, so unfortunatly(for me) I cannot linearise the equation.

You should, however, integrate once:
Multiply your equation with y':
[tex]y''y'=-\frac{g}{L}\sin(y)y'[/tex]
Integrated from t=0 to some arbitrary t-value, you get:
[tex]\frac{y'(t)^{2}}{2}=\frac{g}{L}(\cos(y(t))-cos(y(0))+\frac{y'(0)^{2}}{2}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]y'(t)=\pm\sqrt{y'(0)^{2}+2\frac{g}{L}(\cos(y(t))-cos(y(0))[/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Need some help with nonlinear integration

1. What is nonlinear integration?

Nonlinear integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve that is not a straight line. It is used to solve complex problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why is nonlinear integration important?

Nonlinear integration is important because it allows us to accurately calculate areas and solve problems that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is also used to model real-world phenomena that do not follow a linear pattern.

3. What are some techniques for solving nonlinear integration problems?

Some techniques for solving nonlinear integration problems include numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, and Gaussian quadrature. Other methods include using software programs such as MATLAB or Mathematica.

4. What are the challenges associated with nonlinear integration?

One of the main challenges with nonlinear integration is that it can be computationally intensive, especially for complex functions. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of the solution, as small errors in calculation can lead to significant discrepancies in the final result.

5. How is nonlinear integration used in real-world applications?

Nonlinear integration is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a rocket, predicting stock market trends, and modeling the spread of diseases. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.