Solving for nonlinear 2nd order DE

In summary, there is a method for solving second order d.e s where the independent variable, "x", does not appear explicitly. It's called "quadrature". We can define v= dy/dt and then write d^2y/dx^2 as dv/dx and then use the "chain rule" to write dv/dt= (dv/dy)(dy/dx)= v(dv/dy). So y''= -y becomes v(dv/dy)= -y^2. That can be written as vdv= -y^2dy and integrated for v= dy/dx as a function of y and so a first order differential equation.
MathewsMD
Given a DE in the general form of either y'' = y^2 or y'' = (y-1)^2, is there a general method to solve these?

I separated the equations to get y''(y^-2) = 1 and then integrated, which left me with (-y^-1)dy = (t + c)dt, and then integrated once more.

Is this correct so far? I have essentially split the d^2y/dt^2 terms and integrated w/ respect to each variable (i.e. dt on one side and dy on the other, leaving me w/ another dy and dt on each respective side still).

Honestly, this all just seems like poor mathematics and faulty reasoning since d^2y and dt^2 are single terms themselves, and must be integrated w/ respect to d^2y and dt^2 respectively, and not dy and dt, to my knowledge. This seems like a fundamental concept but besides splitting up the d^2y/dt^2 terms to differentiate, i don't quite see another method to solve for y in this case. Any methods or hints on ways to approach the question would be greatly appreciated! (I have not quite tackled second order, non linear DEs in my studies yet, but any information needed to answer the above problem is always welcome.)

Likes worryingchem
Physics news on Phys.org
I Yes, there is a method for solving second order d.e s where the independent variable, "x", does not appear explicitly. It's called "quadrature". We can define [itex]v= dy/dt[/itex] and then write [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex] as [itex]dv/dx[/itex] and then use the "chain rule" to write [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dy)(dy/dx)= v(dv/dy)[/itex]. So [itex]y''= -y[/itex] becomes [itex]v(dv/dy)= -y^2[/itex]. That can be written as [itex]vdv= -y^2dy[/itex] and integrated for v= dy/dx as a function of y and so a first order differential equation. Similarly, [itex]d^2y/dx^2= (y- 1)^2[/itex] becomes [itex]v dv/dy= (y- 1)^2[/itex] so that [itex]vdv= (y- 1)^2 dy[/itex].

In the case y"=y^2 will lead to the Weierstrass elliptic function as a solution, see for instance chapter 6 of H.T. Davis, introduction to nonlinear differential and integral equations

HallsofIvy said:
I Yes, there is a method for solving second order d.e s where the independent variable, "x", does not appear explicitly. It's called "quadrature". We can define [itex]v= dy/dt[/itex] and then write [itex]d^2y/dx^2[/itex] as [itex]dv/dx[/itex] and then use the "chain rule" to write [itex]dv/dt= (dv/dy)(dy/dx)= v(dv/dy)[/itex]. So [itex]y''= -y[/itex] becomes [itex]v(dv/dy)= -y^2[/itex]. That can be written as [itex]vdv= -y^2dy[/itex] and integrated for v= dy/dx as a function of y and so a first order differential equation. Similarly, [itex]d^2y/dx^2= (y- 1)^2[/itex] becomes [itex]v dv/dy= (y- 1)^2[/itex] so that [itex]vdv= (y- 1)^2 dy[/itex].

So in the solution above that I posted, I did do that, and ended up getting:

[tex] 2t + k = \int [(y-1)^3 + C]^{-1/2} dy [/tex]

My main problem is going from here. Trigonometric substitution seems like one method, though I did mess up somewhere (I think) and it's a fairly long process. I feel like I'm overlooking a simpler method and if you could help hint at another way to tack this, that would be great. But if there is not another method, thank you for the help.

I've revised my solution since I realized I made a blatant error. I also added an extra image to hopefully make it more clear. So I've arrived at a solution, but I've also been given initial conditions (a y' and y value at specified t) but I can't exactly plug it into solve for the exact solution. If anyone has any ideas on how to solve for the constants and also if there's another better method, that would be very helpful! Thank you!

Attachments

• soln.jpg
    soln.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 435
  • soln2.jpg
    soln2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 440

1. What are the steps for solving a nonlinear 2nd order differential equation?

The general steps for solving a nonlinear 2nd order differential equation are as follows:

1. Identify the type of equation (whether it is separable, exact, or requires a special technique).

2. Rearrange the equation into its standard form, with the highest order derivative on the left and all other terms on the right side of the equation.

3. Use an appropriate method (such as substitution or integration) to solve for the dependent variable, typically denoted by y.

4. Once y is found, substitute it back into the original equation and solve for the independent variable, typically denoted by x.

2. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear 2nd order differential equation?

A linear 2nd order differential equation has the form: a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x)y = g(x), where a, b, c, and g are functions of x and y is the dependent variable. In contrast, a nonlinear 2nd order differential equation has the form: F(x,y,y',y'') = 0, where F is a function of x, y, and its derivatives. In other words, a linear equation has terms that are linear in y and its derivatives, while a nonlinear equation has terms that are not linear in y and its derivatives.

3. Can all nonlinear 2nd order differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all nonlinear 2nd order differential equations can be solved analytically. Some equations may require numerical methods, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods, to approximate a solution. Additionally, there are certain types of nonlinear equations, such as those with non-constant coefficients, that do not have closed-form solutions.

4. Are there any specific techniques for solving specific types of nonlinear 2nd order differential equations?

Yes, there are specific techniques for solving certain types of nonlinear 2nd order differential equations. For example, the Riccati equation, which has the form y' = a(x)y^2 + b(x)y + c(x), can be solved using a substitution method. The Bernoulli equation, which has the form y' + a(x)y = b(x)y^n, can be transformed into a linear equation by using the substitution u = y^(1-n). Additionally, there are techniques such as the power series method and the Frobenius method that can be used for more general types of nonlinear equations.

5. Are there any applications of solving nonlinear 2nd order differential equations in real-world problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving nonlinear 2nd order differential equations. These equations can be used to model and analyze various physical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the spread of a disease. They are also commonly used in engineering fields to design and optimize systems, such as electrical circuits or mechanical systems. Additionally, nonlinear differential equations are often used in mathematical modeling to study complex phenomena and make predictions about their behavior.