Need some helps for a Heat Exchanger Optimization project

In summary, the conversation revolves around a project in a Heat Transfer class where the goal is to minimize the volume of an Air Cooled Rankine Cycle heat exchanger. The known parameters include the inlet and outlet temperatures of water and air, the heat transfer amount, and a list of fans and pumps with specifications. The team has chosen two possible designs and is currently using the ε-NTU method for analysis. They are also considering equations such as ##q = C_h (T_{h,o} - T_{h,i}) = C_c (T_{c,i} - T_{c,o})##, ##NTU = \frac{UA}{C_{min}}##, and ##ε = \frac{q}{q
danny_91
Hello fellow PF members,

My teammates and I are working on a project in our Heat Transfer class. It is extremely broad (open ended) and we are not very sure how we should get this project up and going.

1) Project description:
We are given an Air Cooled Rankine Cycle. Cooling water, at 70 °C (after it has cooled off the steam exiting the turbine) is pumped into the heat exchanger (HX) where it exchanges heat with an air stream.

2) Known: Water enters the HX at Th,i = 70 °C and needs to be cooled down to Th,o = 35 °C or less. Air enters HX at Tc,i = 30 °C
The heat amount to be transferred is q = 1 MW = 106 Watts
A list of fans and pumps with specifications (volumetric flow rate, static pressure, etc.) and charts with their performance

3) What we have to find: Based on the constraints from the selection of 1 fan and pumps, and select the configuration of the heat exchanger so that the volume of the heat exchanger is minimized.

4) What we understand and have done:
  • To minimize volume, we need to minimize the surface area. Or we are minimizing the tube diameter and length, etc.
  • We have chosen 2 possible designs:
  1. Shell and Tube HX with circular tubes and counter flow (Currently working on this design)
  2. Compact HX with fins, circular tube, and cross flow.
  • We have calculated: ##C_h = \frac{q}{T_{h,i} - T_{h,o}}##
  • Finding some properties of air assuming the temperature is Tc,i
  • Our analyzing method at the moment is the ε-NTU method. We have equation for ε and NTU already.
5) Where should we go?
We know that we have to pick one pump and fan to get the mass flow rates and the pressure drops of the air and water but are not entirely sure how we will make that pick yet. We also don't know what temperature we need to set for the air outlet temperature Tc,o yet. We also need to get the overall heat transfer coefficients from getting the Nusselt and Reynolds number which requires the inlet velocity.

It seems like picking one fan or pump is the way to go right now but there are so many of them that I think our professor wants us to use them as some parameters to optimize the volume. He also told us to use the shell diameter, tubes diameter, and number of tubes as parameters to run to get the minimized size for the HX.

Thank you so much if you read through my post and can put in some suggestions for me to get started. I am not asking for solution but more of a general guidelines that we could use for our project. FYI, we are using a software called EES (Engineering Equation Solver) to do most of our calculation, parametric tables and plots.

Engineering news on Phys.org
6) Some equations we have considered to use:
##q = C_h (T_{h,o} - T_{h,i}) = C_c (T_{c,i} - T_{c,o})##

##C_h = \dot m_{water} c_{ph}## , ##C_c = \dot m_{air} c_{pc}##, ##c_{ph}## and ##c_{pc}## are specific heat capacity of water and air respectively

##NTU = \frac{UA}{C_{min}}## NTU is number of transfer unit

Effectiveness: ##ε = \frac{q}{q_{max}}##

Reynolds number: ##Re_D = \frac{ρv_{fluid}D}{μ}##

And Nusselt number: ##Nu_D = \frac{hD}{k_{fluid}}## , ##k_{fluid}## is thermal conductivity of the fluid and ##h## is the convective heat coefficient of the specific fluid

1. What is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another. It consists of two separate fluid channels, one for the hot fluid and one for the cold fluid, with a barrier in between them. The heat from the hot fluid is transferred to the cold fluid through the barrier, allowing for efficient heat transfer.

2. What is the purpose of optimizing a heat exchanger?

The purpose of optimizing a heat exchanger is to improve its efficiency and performance. This can lead to cost savings in terms of energy usage and maintenance, as well as improved product quality and process control.

3. What factors should be considered when optimizing a heat exchanger?

There are several factors to consider when optimizing a heat exchanger, including the type of fluids being used, the flow rates and temperatures of the fluids, the design and size of the exchanger, and the operating conditions.

4. What methods are used for heat exchanger optimization?

There are several methods that can be used for heat exchanger optimization, including computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, experimental testing, and theoretical calculations. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, so a combination of approaches may be necessary for a comprehensive optimization.

5. What are the potential benefits of a successful heat exchanger optimization project?

A successful heat exchanger optimization project can result in several benefits, including improved energy efficiency, cost savings, increased productivity, and better product quality. It can also extend the lifespan of the heat exchanger and reduce the need for frequent maintenance or replacements.