Need Suggestions for Scientific Review

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of selecting topics for a student-run academic journal in the field of physics. The topics must involve recent advancements and be understandable for outsiders. Suggestions for potential topics include MRI machines and the evolution of smartphones over the past decade. The latter is seen as a promising topic due to its technological advances and popularity among students.
DrMCoeus
Hi Everyone,

My college runs a student run academic journal in which students read and write a review of a topic in physics and then some are selected for publication. I am determined to get mine accepted but am struggling to pick good topics. Topics must have research being carried out now/recently (at least some advances being made this decade) and the review summaries the current field along with possible new directions etc.

Ideally a good topic would; not be too advanced to understand for an outsider, be original/novel but not necessarily.

Previous Topics include quantum encryption, solar panel hybrid panels, avian homing mechanisms via quantum, quantum model of olfactory (smell) system and so on. Quantum computers seems too hard.

Currently half way through my third year (Physics Degree) and have some chemistry under my belt. I was thinking about possibly a project about some aspect of MRI machines or Magnetic Resonance but am completely open to areas which people may be familiar with or recently found out about that may fit this bill.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just an idea, (might not comply full to the standards set though): The evolution of smartphone devices the last 10 years and their current and future trends in this area. They are not quantum computing, they are still conventional digital electronic computers but it is remarkable the technological advantages that have been done in this area. There are now smartphones that are comparable in capabilities to a modern desktop PC. It is pure technological power in the palm of our hands.

You can write about things like battery power and size, cpu cores frequency and power consumed, flash memory capacity and speeds e.t.c at the desired level of scientific detail.

Also smartphones are very popular in young people/students so everyone would have an idea of what you going to write about.

Last edited:
Yeah that's a great idea. thanks for the suggestion

Likes Delta2

What is a scientific review?

A scientific review is a critical evaluation of existing scientific literature on a specific topic or research question. It involves analyzing and synthesizing information from various sources to provide an overview of the current state of knowledge on a particular subject.

Why is a scientific review important?

A scientific review is important because it helps researchers identify gaps in knowledge and areas for future research. It also allows for the integration of diverse perspectives and findings, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of a topic. Additionally, scientific reviews are often used to inform policy decisions and guide future research directions.

How do I conduct a scientific review?

To conduct a scientific review, you must first define your research question or topic of interest. Then, you will need to search for relevant literature using databases, search engines, and other sources. Once you have gathered the necessary information, you will need to critically evaluate and synthesize the findings to answer your research question.

What are the key components of a scientific review?

The key components of a scientific review include an introduction that outlines the research question and objectives, a methods section describing the search and selection process for literature, a results section summarizing the findings, a discussion section interpreting the results and identifying gaps in knowledge, and a conclusion that summarizes the key findings and implications for future research.

How do I ensure the credibility of my scientific review?

To ensure the credibility of your scientific review, it is important to use a systematic approach in conducting your literature search and selection. This includes using multiple sources and avoiding bias in your selection process. Additionally, you should critically evaluate the quality of the studies included in your review and clearly state any limitations. Finally, it is crucial to properly cite all sources and adhere to ethical guidelines in your review process.