Need Suggestions to Control the Position of an AC Motor Using an Inverter

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving the use of an AC motor and the Altivar 16 Square D inverter to control its speed. The main concern is what sensors to use, specifically a rotary encoder, and how to handle torque when changing the motor's direction. The suggestion of using Servo Motors is also brought up.
abeno
Hi, I'm new in this forum. Nice to meet you all.

I'm currently working on a project that uses AC motor. The goal is to make a position control system for the motor. Currently I'm using the Altivar 16 Square D inverter to control the speed of the motor. It uses a logic voltage to control the directoin of the AC motor and a DC voltage as the input and gives an AC voltage with a corresponding frequency that will be feeded to the motor to achieve a certain speed.

What becomes my concern is what sensors should I use? I'm thinking of a rotary encoder, but is it enough? And I'm also concerned about the torque, is it okay if I suddenly change the direction of the motor? How to calculate or check this?

Thanks for the help. :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you should be looking into Servo Motors instead, no? :smile:

1. How does an inverter control the position of an AC motor?

An inverter controls the position of an AC motor by converting DC power into AC power using electronic switching devices. It then adjusts the frequency and voltage of the AC power to control the speed and position of the motor.

2. Can any AC motor be controlled using an inverter?

Yes, most AC motors can be controlled using an inverter. However, the motor must have a variable frequency drive (VFD) to allow for speed and position control.

3. What are some common methods used to control the position of an AC motor using an inverter?

Some common methods include sensorless vector control, closed-loop speed control, and closed-loop position control. These methods use feedback from sensors or algorithms to adjust the frequency and voltage of the AC power to control the motor's position.

4. Are there any limitations to using an inverter to control the position of an AC motor?

One limitation is that the motor must have a VFD and be compatible with the inverter. Additionally, the inverter must be properly programmed and calibrated for the specific motor and application. Electrical noise and harmonics can also affect the performance of the motor and inverter.

5. What are some benefits of using an inverter to control the position of an AC motor?

Using an inverter allows for precise and adjustable control of the motor's speed and position, which can improve efficiency and accuracy in industrial applications. It also reduces wear and tear on the motor and can save energy by only using the necessary power for the motor's current workload.