Need to cut back on the time I spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter

In summary: If serious about learning, you will go back to those chapters many times, learning more and more over the years to come.
bigmike94
These are all the chapters for introductory mechanics in my textbook. What I have been doing is reading the chapter then following it up with watching a tonne of lectures and worked examples on that topic and attempting to do the problems.

I’m on Applying Newton’s laws and I’ve been studying it for about 4 month now. I really wanted to overkill it as I know they’re important. But at this rate it would take me over 2 years just to make it past basic mechanics.

So my question is to you guys is which chapters would you focus more on? Which chapters will be the most important for me to eventually study electromagnetism, classical mechanics, quantum mechanics etc.

I know it’s all important and above all it’s enjoyable learning each chapter but I think spending 4 month on each small chapter is going too far. My guess is if it’s needed for more advanced studies it will naturally keep popping back up anyways so I don’t forget it.

I am on a part time degree but most of my studying is self studying, therefore it’s hard to know when to move on. So in short which chapters need the most attention and which ones need less.

Thank you in advance.
B9832387-3122-4B27-A8D1-C93AFCB3AEBD.jpeg

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion and experience, you cannot skip or otherwise deemphasize a topic since they are all interrelated. Sure some topics are more useful than others that is their use is more frequent but they all contribute to an ability to deal with whatever comes. Skipping something merely introduces a deficit in your web of knowledge. Sorry, I cannot recommend any shortcuts.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
The solution isn't to omit chapters but to go through them faster. In a typical course, you'd be going through the material at a pace of about one chapter per week. Watching a lot of lectures or others working through problems is likely a waste of time. You learn by working through the material yourself, not by watching others do it.

Likes hutchphd, vanhees71, gleem and 1 other person
bigmike94 said:
I know it’s all important and above all it’s enjoyable learning each chapter but I think spending 4 month on each small chapter is going too far.
If serious about learning, you will go back to those chapters many times, learning more and more over the years to come.

"There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I personally find the introduction to chapters very confusing in general.
Go faster over those; practice is what teaches you by challenging what you believe you know so far.

Like for many things in life, I learn a little about a subject, I believe I know enough to solve academic or practical problems, then those problems prove to be too difficult for my little knowledge.
Next, I go back to learn more about that specific difficulty, from books, from others, from websites, etc.

It is only after that process when I have a chance to solve the problems and learn a little more.
The cycle repeats almost forever, as long as I am interested and challenging problems cross my path.

Likes bigmike94
gleem said:
In my opinion and experience, you cannot skip or otherwise deemphasize a topic since they are all interrelated. Sure some topics are more useful than others that is their use is more frequent but they all contribute to an ability to deal with whatever comes. Skipping something merely introduces a deficit in your web of knowledge. Sorry, I cannot recommend any shortcuts.

I’m not looking for shortcuts and definitely didn’t say skipping a topic, I enjoy physics too much to skip a part, I probably spend more time than most people on each topic. In fact I don’t think they’ll be many that will have spent a year and half on just kinematics and Newton’s laws alone like I have, I’m just asking if there’s topics I can spend the “normal” amount of time on (no shortcuts) and some topics that might be worth a little bit more attention? If not then I’ll accept the fact that there isn’t enough time in the world to master every topic and just keep plodding on

Likes PeroK
vela said:
The solution isn't to omit chapters but to go through them faster. In a typical course, you'd be going through the material at a pace of about one chapter per week. Watching a lot of lectures or others working through problems is likely a waste of time. You learn by working through the material yourself, not by watching others do it.
I never said omit chapters I would never do that and also never said I just watch other people, I just asked if there are chapters that needed more attention than others and also said that I attempt the problems myself.

And I actually learn better by watching videos, examples and then doing practise problems. We all have different preferred learning techniques and I tend to struggle to sit and read textbooks for a long time. I could either struggle to understand a section in a textbook or simply YouTube people explaining the theory and I normally understand much faster.

For example I was reading a proof of the limit as x goes to 0 of sin(x)/x=1 using the squeeze theorem and for the life of my I couldn’t follow it. I watched one video on YouTube and understood it

bigmike94 said:
I’m on Applying Newton’s laws and I’ve been studying it for about 4 month now. I really wanted to overkill it as I know they’re important. But at this rate it would take me over 2 years just to make it past basic mechanics.
bigmike94 said:
I’m not looking for shortcuts and definitely didn’t say skipping a topic, I enjoy physics too much to skip a part, I probably spend more time than most people on each topic. In fact I don’t think they’ll be many that will have spent a year and half on just kinematics and Newton’s laws alone like I have, I’m just asking if there’s topics I can spend the “normal” amount of time on (no shortcuts) and some topics that might be worth a little bit more attention? If not then I’ll accept the fact that there isn’t enough time in the world to master every topic and just keep plodding on
Just a couple of observations.

If you are studying physics for self fulfilment then the speed of progress is hardly important. You can enjoy basic mechanics problems just as much as advanced quantum mechanics. And you can spend as long on any topic as you please.

As you yourself note, however, you're unlikely to complete a degree in physics at this rate.

You have to decide, therefore, what are your priorities? If you want to complete a degree, then you'll need to set yourself a maximum schedule to complete each chapter.

My guess is that you should have allowed about 2-3 months to cover chapters 1-8 to the point where it's appropriate to move on. Those are the basics. Chapters 9-14 look considerably harder.

Likes Vanadium 50, Lnewqban and bigmike94
bigmike94 said:
I never said omit chapters I would never do that and also never said I just watch other people, I just asked if there are chapters that needed more attention than others and also said that I attempt the problems myself.
You're right. I read gleem's response to your post before I read yours. He mentioned omitting chapters which colored how I interpreted what you wrote.

What you did say was you watched a lot of videos, and since you're spending four months on this chapter, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to estimate you've spent more than three hours watching videos during this time. That's a lot of time watching others work through the material. In college, a student will typically spend three hours per week in class, and then spend another nine hours or so studying the material on their own.

I am assuming you're devoting a decent amount of time per week to learning physics. On the one hand, if you're spending just an hour a week, four months doesn't seem so crazy as you probably have to use a lot of time reviewing what you forgot from the week before. On the other hand, if you're spending five hours a week, four months is way too long to be devoting to a single chapter. It would suggest your approach to learning is terribly inefficient.

bigmike94 said:
And I actually learn better by watching videos, examples and then doing practise problems. We all have different preferred learning techniques and I tend to struggle to sit and read textbooks for a long time. I could either struggle to understand a section in a textbook or simply YouTube people explaining the theory and I normally understand much faster.
You're not alone. A lot of students have the same issue, but you do need to learn to read and use science textbooks. It's a learned skill and it takes practice.

Likes Lnewqban and Mark44
vela said:
You're right. I read gleem's response to your post before I read yours. He mentioned omitting chapters which colored how I interpreted what you wrote.

What you did say was you watched a lot of videos, and since you're spending four months on this chapter, I don't think it's unreasonable for me to estimate you've spent more than three hours watching videos during this time. That's a lot of time watching others work through the material. In college, a student will typically spend three hours per week in class, and then spend another nine hours or so studying the material on their own.

I am assuming you're devoting a decent amount of time per week to learning physics. On the one hand, if you're spending just an hour a week, four months doesn't seem so crazy as you probably have to use a lot of time reviewing what you forgot from the week before. On the other hand, if you're spending five hours a week, four months is way too long to be devoting to a single chapter. It would suggest your approach to learning is terribly inefficient.You're not alone. A lot of students have the same issue, but you do need to learn to read and use science textbooks. It's a learned skill and it takes practice.

Okay that’s fair enough. On average I’m studying around 7-9 hours physics and 10-14 hours maths, per week. So you’re probably right maybe I am spending too much time on each chapter. There just never seems to be an end to how much you can learn on each topic but I suppose you need to find that balance otherwise you’d never advance. Thank you for the reply 👍

Likes Lnewqban
First, let me say that I am sorry for putting words in your mouth, the skip kind of pops into my mind when someone wants to focus on or emphasize something which I infer to include deemphasizing something else. Skipping is the ultimate deemphasizing.

bigmike94 said:
I am on a part time degree but most of my studying is self studying, therefore it’s hard to know when to move on. So in short which chapters need the most attention and which ones need less.
Your aim is to eventually earn a BS in Physics but cannot do it full-time, is that right? It's not clear why you are spending so much time studying physics on your own. Do you intend to take these courses in your BS program or are you trying to pass the course by exam? Is the table of contents that you showed for a text for a one-semester (about 16 weeks) program?

Watching videos is like attending class online. Not to discourage you from learning on your own, why not just go to class to learn the subject that way you have the learning pace set for you and an evaluation method. On top of that, you can compare yourself to your peers.

Is there something I am missing?

gleem said:
First, let me say that I am sorry for putting words in your mouth, the skip kind of pops into my mind when someone wants to focus on or emphasize something which I infer to include deemphasizing something else. Skipping is the ultimate deemphasizing.Your aim is to eventually earn a BS in Physics but cannot do it full-time, is that right? It's not clear why you are spending so much time studying physics on your own. Do you intend to take these courses in your BS program or are you trying to pass the course by exam? Is the table of contents that you showed for a text for a one-semester (about 16 weeks) program?

Watching videos is like attending class online. Not to discourage you from learning on your own, why not just go to class to learn the subject that way you have the learning pace set for you and an evaluation method. On top of that, you can compare yourself to your peers.

Is there something I am missing?
Sorry i should have been more clear. I’m an older student, 27 years old, with a family. I’m on a part time degree because I have work and family commitments. But I study physics because I want to understand how things work, I don’t study it to pass test etc. I am doing a degree in it because I think my hard work should be rewarded and there’s tonnes of opportunities in my city for physics/stem graduates. I will never stop studying physics and who knows maybe I’ll land a job where physics is needed (nuclear, private research for companies, government etc etc) but for now my goal is to understand.

For example once I’ve finished these last two videos on profesor Leonards videos on calc 2 series and sequences I would have watched around 16 hours just that topic alone. (Btw that isn’t just watching, i pause the video and attempt to solve the problem first, so an hour video can actually take me 3 hours as I’m solving a lot of problems) but as I was saying, I still don’t feel like i understand series and sequences enough so I’ll be using Khan academy, Michel Van Biezen and the organic chemistry tutor. I use those as they have tonnes of examples so I can pause the video and attempt the problems myself.

So I end up spending so much time on one topic because I fear not being able to understand advance stuff once I get there. I already had to redo calc 2 topics as at first I only used Khan academy and that by itself is no where near good enough.

Likes Lnewqban and gleem
I have known people in similar circumstances and they were successful. Good Luck.

Likes Lnewqban
PeroK said:
Just a couple of observations.

If you are studying physics for self fulfilment then the speed of progress is hardly important. You can enjoy basic mechanics problems just as much as advanced quantum mechanics. And you can spend as long on any topic as you please.

As you yourself note, however, you're unlikely to complete a degree in physics at this rate.

You have to decide, therefore, what are your priorities? If you want to complete a degree, then you'll need to set yourself a maximum schedule to complete each chapter.

My guess is that you should have allowed about 2-3 months to cover chapters 1-8 to the point where it's appropriate to move on. Those are the basics. Chapters 9-14 look considerably harder.
You wasn’t wrong 😅 chapters 9-14 were definitely harder but I have finally finished them. I think fluid mechanics was my favourite.
what was your favourite introductory chapter?

bigmike94 said:
I think fluid mechanics was my favourite.
what was your favourite introductory chapter?
I don't think anything in classical mechanics captured my imagination to the extent of Special Relativity.

• Love
Likes vanhees71, vela and malawi_glenn
In classical mechanics was my first encounter with Noether's theorem. For me the formulation in terms of Poisson brackets within the Hamiltonian formalism is the most beautiful way to describe classical mechanics.

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
vanhees71 said:
In classical mechanics was my first encounter with Noether's theorem. For me the formulation in terms of Poisson brackets within the Hamiltonian formalism is the most beautiful way to describe classical mechanics.
Sounds really good. But I have no idea what it is, I have only completed intro mechanics in terms of Newton’s laws. I start Lagrangian and Hamiltonian in October

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
bigmike94 said:
Sorry i should have been more clear. I’m an older student, 27 years old, with a family. I’m on a part time degree because I have work and family commitments. But I study physics because I want to understand how things work, I don’t study it to pass test etc. I am doing a degree in it because I think my hard work should be rewarded and there’s tonnes of opportunities in my city for physics/stem graduates. I will never stop studying physics and who knows maybe I’ll land a job where physics is needed (nuclear, private research for companies, government etc etc) but for now my goal is to understand.

For example once I’ve finished these last two videos on profesor Leonards videos on calc 2 series and sequences I would have watched around 16 hours just that topic alone. (Btw that isn’t just watching, i pause the video and attempt to solve the problem first, so an hour video can actually take me 3 hours as I’m solving a lot of problems) but as I was saying, I still don’t feel like i understand series and sequences enough so I’ll be using Khan academy, Michel Van Biezen and the organic chemistry tutor. I use those as they have tonnes of examples so I can pause the video and attempt the problems myself.

So I end up spending so much time on one topic because I fear not being able to understand advance stuff once I get there. I already had to redo calc 2 topics as at first I only used Khan academy and that by itself is no where near good enough.
Just FYI (mainly my opinion). I do not believe people can understand sequences and series, without having studying Analysis. Sure, you may be able to calculate, and get a somewhat intuitive feel, but to understand convergence. One has to do the proofs. imo

Likes vanhees71 and malawi_glenn
MidgetDwarf said:
Just FYI (mainly my opinion). I do not believe people can understand sequences and series, without having studying Analysis. Sure, you may be able to calculate, and get a somewhat intuitive feel, but to understand convergence. One has to do the proofs. imo
Im looking forward to analysis, I think, from what I heard it can be really hard. But I am more in it to actually see the proofs etc myself more than actually solve them. But I’ll definitely give it a good go for fun.

When can one attempt a beginners analysis book? I’m just in the last half of multivariable calculus and differential equations.

bigmike94 said:
Im looking forward to analysis, I think, from what I heard it can be really hard. But I am more in it to actually see the proofs etc myself more than actually solve them. But I’ll definitely give it a good go for fun.

When can one attempt a beginners analysis book? I’m just in the last half of multivariable calculus and differential equations.
It depends really. What is required to learn analysis is mathematical maturity. Ie., knowing how to read and write proofs.

From your previous post, you struggled to read Stewart Calculus, so I am not sure you are ready to start Analysis. Moreover, over reliance on YouTube videos.

It may be better to work through something like Hammock:Book of Proof. Which is freely available as a PDF (legally). Then go to Abbot: Understanding Analysis.

Likes vanhees71
MidgetDwarf said:
It depends really. What is required to learn analysis is mathematical maturity. Ie., knowing how to read and write proofs.

From your previous post, you struggled to read Stewart Calculus, so I am not sure you are ready to start Analysis. Moreover, over reliance on YouTube videos.

It may be better to work through something like Hammock:Book of Proof. Which is freely available as a PDF (legally). Then go to Abbot: Understanding Analysis.
To be fair a lots changed this I originally posted this. The calculus books aren’t bad and I don’t struggle anymore. It was just a difficult transition jumping into a textbook later in the chapters. I’ve finished all the physics Newtonian mechanics chapters and half way into multivariable calculus, currently doing double integrals etc.

Some textbooks can still throw me off, as they can with anyone, like following the derivation for the integrated factor in differential equations took me a few reads but I got there.

To be fair I think like you said it comes with mathematical maturity and my heart wouldn’t be in it at the moment. I need to focus on tensors, differential geometry etc once I’m done on my current courses.

Likes vanhees71
bigmike94 said:
To be fair a lots changed this I originally posted this. The calculus books aren’t bad and I don’t struggle anymore. It was just a difficult transition jumping into a textbook later in the chapters. I’ve finished all the physics Newtonian mechanics chapters and half way into multivariable calculus, currently doing double integrals etc.

Some textbooks can still throw me off, as they can with anyone, like following the derivation for the integrated factor in differential equations took me a few reads but I got there.

To be fair I think like you said it comes with mathematical maturity and my heart wouldn’t be in it at the moment. I need to focus on tensors, differential geometry etc once I’m done on my current courses.
before diving into tensors. you should study vector calculus. which will be useful for your upper division mechanics and em.

Which you have seen the basics of in calculus 3.

Not sure of an easy book. Since I studied this from a pure math perspective.

MidgetDwarf said:
before diving into tensors. you should study vector calculus. which will be useful for your upper division mechanics and em.

Which you have seen the basics of in calculus 3.

Not sure of an easy book. Since I studied this from a pure math perspective.
Yeah vector calculus was covered in calculus 3, not sure as to what level though, I only have two chapters remaining, big chapters though, multiple integrals and vector fields. It’s quite interesting. I should be able to put calc 3 to good use in October when I start Griffiths em

1. How much time should I spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter?

The amount of time you should spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter may vary depending on your individual learning style and pace. However, a general recommendation is to spend about 1-2 hours per chapter. This will allow you to thoroughly understand the material and practice enough problems to solidify your understanding.

2. Why is it important to cut back on the time I spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter?

It is important to cut back on the time you spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter in order to avoid burnout and maintain a healthy balance in your study schedule. Spending too much time on one subject can also lead to diminishing returns, as your brain may become fatigued and less receptive to new information.

3. How can I effectively cut back on the time I spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter?

One effective way to cut back on the time you spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter is to prioritize the most important concepts and focus on understanding them first. You can also try breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks of time, rather than trying to cover everything in one sitting.

4. Will cutting back on my self-study time affect my understanding of the material?

As long as you are using your self-study time effectively and focusing on the most important concepts, cutting back on the time you spend self-studying each Intro Mechanics chapter should not significantly affect your understanding of the material. It is important to find a balance between self-study and other activities to maintain a healthy and productive learning experience.

5. Can I make up for cutting back on my self-study time by studying more later on?

It is not recommended to try and make up for cutting back on your self-study time by cramming more later on. This can lead to increased stress and may not be as effective in retaining the information. It is important to stick to a consistent and balanced study schedule to achieve the best results.