How much of first year Intro physics do you remember?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the enjoyment of the introductory chapters in university physics mechanics, particularly those on energy, momentum, and fluid mechanics. The speaker also asked about the other person's favorite introductory chapters and how much they remembered from them. The conversation also touched on the relevance of remembering concepts in the long run and the use of calculus in certain topics. The other person mentioned that they remember a lot from the intro physics course because they used to teach it.
bigmike94
Summary: I am just curious I know 🧐

Im coming up the end of intro university physics mechanics chapters. It has been quite enjoyable, especially chapters on energy, momentum and fluid mechanics.

There’s so much information packed into these chapters though.

I am wondering what was your favourite introductory chapters and how much do you remember from the others?

I am guessing that all the chapters that you enjoyed you’re more likely to remember them because you’ve probably studied them in more depth.

Should I need not to worry about not having the best memory as “important” and “relevant” concepts will always repeat over time anyway. I use quotation marks and important and relevant is relative to the learner. I plan on going more in-depth using John Taylor’s classical mechanics and also Munson, Young and Okiishi have a highly rated fluid mechanics book.

As I said I am curious to know what Intro chapters you enjoyed the most 😃

Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed those topics that made use of Calculus for their development. I remember more of the intro physics course than any other subject because you always referred back to those basics for almost every other course.

Likes PhDeezNutz, vanhees71, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
I remember a lot, but only because I used to teach the material at freshman level.

Likes vanhees71

1. How much of first year Intro physics is typically covered?

The amount of material covered in first year Intro physics courses can vary depending on the specific curriculum and institution. However, most courses cover the fundamental concepts of mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and optics.

2. Is it necessary to remember everything from first year Intro physics?

While it is important to have a solid understanding of the core concepts covered in first year Intro physics, it is not necessary to remember every single detail. It is more important to have a strong grasp of the fundamental principles and problem-solving techniques.

3. Can I still do well in higher level physics courses if I don't remember much from first year Intro physics?

It may be challenging to do well in higher level physics courses if you have forgotten most of the material from first year Intro physics. However, with dedication and review, it is possible to catch up and succeed in these courses.

4. How can I improve my retention of first year Intro physics concepts?

To improve your retention of first year Intro physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include practicing problems, discussing concepts with peers, and seeking help from instructors when needed. Additionally, regularly reviewing and reinforcing the material can also aid in retention.

5. Are there any resources available to help me review first year Intro physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you review first year Intro physics. These can include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study guides, and practice problems. It may also be helpful to join a study group or seek assistance from a tutor or instructor.