Need to learn some electrochemistry fast

In summary, the conversation was about an undergraduate student looking for resources to learn about various concepts relevant to their research project on the dielectric properties of colloidal suspensions, such as electrode polarization, electrode impedance, induced polarization, Faradaic and non-Faradaic processes, double layers, and zeta potential. The student mentioned their strong physics background but weak chemistry background and asked for recommendations on good resources to learn about these concepts. The respondent shared two book recommendations and expressed their own interest in finding similar resources for their students.
ZetaOfThree
Gold Member
I am an undergraduate who recently started on a research project involving the dielectric properties of colloidal suspensions. Though my physics background is strong, my chemistry background is weak and I would like to learn about the following concepts relevant to my research:

1. Electrode polarization (ideal vs. non-ideal)
2. Electrode impedance
3. Induced polarization
4. Faradaic and non-Faradaic processes
5. Double layers (specifically Guoy-Chapman double layers)
7. Zeta potential

What are some good resources (texts, etc.) where I can learn about such things?

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
ZetaOfThree said:
I am an undergraduate who recently started on a research project involving the dielectric properties of colloidal suspensions. <snip>

What are some good resources (texts, etc.) where I can learn about such things?

Thanks very much.

If you find a good book, let me know- I've been trying to find something like this for my students for several years. The best I have found (so far) are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471594687/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521896002/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is the branch of chemistry that studies the relationship between electricity and chemical reactions. It involves the transfer of electrons between molecules and the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy and vice versa.

2. Why is it important to learn electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry has a wide range of applications, including batteries, fuel cells, corrosion prevention, and industrial processes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding biological processes and environmental issues, making it an essential subject for scientists in many fields.

3. What are the basic principles of electrochemistry?

The basic principles of electrochemistry include the concepts of oxidation and reduction, the movement of electrons between electrodes, and the role of electrolytes in facilitating these reactions. It also involves understanding the different types of electrochemical cells and their components.

4. How can I learn electrochemistry quickly?

The best way to learn electrochemistry quickly is to start with the fundamentals and build a strong foundation. This includes understanding key concepts and equations, practicing problems, and familiarizing yourself with common experimental techniques. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also aid in learning the subject faster.

5. What are some helpful resources for learning electrochemistry?

There are many helpful resources for learning electrochemistry, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular textbooks include "Electrochemistry" by J. Bard and L. Faulkner and "Electrochemical Methods" by A. Bard and L. Faulkner. Online resources such as Khan Academy and Coursera offer free courses and lessons on electrochemistry. Additionally, many universities have open access resources and lecture notes available online.