Need Tutorial on Switchgear panels

• Thread starter Tislam87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutorial
In summary, this person is asking for help finding guidance in learning about LV and MV switchgear. They are new to the field and need help to learn about the relative topics. They are looking for a mentor, but may need to find another job if the person they are looking for does not exist at their company.
Tislam87
I really need proper guidance to design LV and MV Switchgear panels.
I need to learn all about the relative topics. Can someone please help me?

Right now I'm working in power distribution equipment manufacturer company. They already
have manufactured Switchgears,circuit breakers and transformers.

I just need a proper guidance to organise the documents on switchgear section.
Can someone please guide me?

I'm new in this field.
HELP please

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think your question is way too general.
To explain all that would take a really, really long time.

Experience is going to be your best teacher. If you are new to the field, your employer is aware that you don't know what you are doing. They likely are going to train you from the ground up...or you are going to have to learn from the ground up...or a combination of both.

No trainer here... All I have is the Autocad drawings of the panels... What can I do with it?

What should be my first step? And how do I check if they are maintaining the IEC standards properly ?

:(

Find the oldest gray haired engineer in the whole place. Look at the books in his bookcase, and ask him if he'll suggest a place to start.

I tried a search on "textbook electrical distribution" and found several, but can't recommend one because I've never used any of them. My former employer's engineering department had an outstanding reference book written in the 1950's. You'll want a book like it that includes practical details like how to brace against magnetic forces from fault current, how to wrap a tape stress cone, and the like. I don't member the author but title was simply 'Electrical Distibution" .

Are you a member of IEEE? if not, join. They are a wonderful resource. You'll find most of your questions addressed in their standards.

old jim

jim hardy said:
Find the oldest gray haired engineer in the whole place. Look at the books in his bookcase, and ask him if he'll suggest a place to start.

Bingo. Charm the heck out this guy and make him take an interest in you.

Guiding you on a physics forum without seeing all of your documents is almost impossible.

Yes - mentoring! Best way. Generalized info on this topic is lethal - literally. I am sure you can get good feedback here on a specific questions or explanation - but LV & MV needs to be learned first from a safety perspective. If they are not formally training you you may want to look for another employer.

To OP:

Who's the guy who is going to check your work after you are done? This is the guy you want to work with.

If this guy does not exist at your company, and they expect YOU to be that guy, then perhaps time to fold and find another job.

Better yet, be honest with your employer that you don't know what you are doing and need help. That way at least you are up front. If they tell you to keep plugging along then you know you are covered.

You might want to talk to some switchgear engineers/salesmen. Sometimes they can be very helpful in the design of switchgear so they can simply sell their product. Works for both of you.

But still, sooner or later you will need someone competent (not the salesman) to approve your work at such an early stage in your career.

Last edited:

1. What is a switchgear panel?

A switchgear panel is an electrical distribution system that is used to control, protect, and isolate electrical equipment. It consists of switches, fuses, and circuit breakers that are used to control the flow of electricity to different parts of a building or facility.

2. Why do I need a tutorial on switchgear panels?

A tutorial on switchgear panels is necessary to understand the basic principles of how they work and how to operate them safely. It also helps in identifying and troubleshooting any issues that may arise, ensuring the proper functioning of the electrical system.

3. What are the different types of switchgear panels?

There are different types of switchgear panels, including air-insulated, gas-insulated, and hybrid switchgear. Each type has its own advantages and is used in different applications based on factors such as voltage level, size, and environmental conditions.

4. How do I maintain a switchgear panel?

Maintenance of a switchgear panel involves regular inspections, cleaning, and testing of all components to ensure they are functioning properly. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and to have a qualified technician perform any repairs or replacements.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when working with switchgear panels?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when working with switchgear panels. These include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, de-energizing the panel before performing any maintenance or repairs, and following proper lockout/tagout procedures to prevent accidental energization. It is also important to be trained and familiar with the specific switchgear panel being worked on.