Need upgrade for computer to edit 4K video

In summary, upgrading your computer to edit 4K video may require purchasing a new CPU, memory, and video card.
leroyjenkens
I have a camera that can shoot in 4K video, but trying to edit the footage is very laggy and my computer won't export the footage in 4K. I'd like to upgrade the computer I have instead of buying a whole new one. But I'm not sure what exactly I need to upgrade and what to upgrade it to. My computer can take DDR2 memory, and I had spare DDR3 memory to put in there, but my computer doesn't recognize it for some reason. I also need a better video card, but I don't know what inexpensive video card is capable of editing 4K video and fitting inside the case of my computer. I don't want to order one and the thing is just too big for the case. I built a pre-made computer. This is it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02781693
So my questions are what are the cheapest video cards that I could buy, that will fit in my computer, be accepted by my computer, and that would allow me to edit 4K video. And if I also need more RAM, how do I know what type to buy? Because just knowing that it takes DDR3 apparently isn't enough.
Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think you would be better served by looking for a new computer with the latest CPU, memory, video card... known to be a good video editing platform.

Some of the common issues are CPU is limited to types of memory that can be used, the OS might be limited to the kinds of video cards... You may run into power supply limitations and heat dissipation issues as well.

Many YouTubers publish videos on their setups and that could be a good place to start.

Every time, I've done this upgrade route I've been disappointed and eventually decided to buy a newer computer for the task at hand. In one case, the cool box I got to house my stuff had poor circulation and I ran into heating issues constantly as the more cards the hotter it gets and the airflow is more restricted.

Here's one such example from Youtube, I'm sure there are others:

Likes russ_watters
As a follow on you may generate a lot of 4K data and you'll need to keep it safe:

Lastly, Linux Tech Tips is a pretty good channel for details about cards...

Thank you very much, jedishrfu. I was kinda hoping for this kinda answer and not hoping for it at the same time. On one hand, buying a new computer is easy, and I've had my current one for quite a while. But on the other hand, it will probably be much more expensive than just replacing a couple of components. Helpful videos too. Thanks again.

Likes jedishrfu
leroyjenkens said:
But on the other hand, it will probably be much more expensive than just replacing a couple of components.
That's hopefully true. But I fooled myself before buying components hoping for an inexpensive solution, but in the end, I needed a new computer anyhow. Buying components first and a new computer later is more expensive.

• Sad
Likes Tom.G
leroyjenkens said:
My computer can take DDR2 memory, and I had spare DDR3 memory to put in there, but my computer doesn't recognize it for some reason.

The reason is that if it takes DDR2, it takes DDR2, and if it takes DDR3 it takes DDR3. Furthermore, DDR3 won't physically fit in a DD2 socket (and vice versa).

DDR2 was used in 2003-2007 vintage computers. So you're trying to do modern work with a 15-year old machine.

I don't know where your HP fits in, as it is only (!) 9 years old and uses DDR3 and not DDR2. But that machine will not be able to fit a normal-sized video card. You need a new case. That means you need a new power supply. Many of those motherboards had proprietary power supplies, so you probably need a new motherboard, and that means a new CPU and memory. And video take a lot of space, which implies adding a big hard disk.

What parts from your existing PC are you planning on reusing again?

I think that you would do better to identify exactly the performance characteristics that you require, and then buy a used machine that meets them and preferably exceeds them, and is no more than 5 years old, from a 99%+ reliable seller on ebay.

1. Can I upgrade my current computer to edit 4K video?

Yes, it is possible to upgrade your computer to be able to handle editing 4K video. However, the extent of the upgrades needed will depend on the current capabilities and specifications of your computer.

2. What are the minimum requirements for editing 4K video?

The minimum requirements for editing 4K video include a powerful processor (preferably quad-core or higher), a dedicated graphics card, at least 16GB of RAM, and a solid-state drive (SSD) for faster data transfer speeds. It is also recommended to have a high-resolution monitor for accurate video playback.

3. How much will it cost to upgrade my computer for 4K video editing?

The cost of upgrading your computer for 4K video editing will vary depending on the current specifications of your computer and the specific upgrades needed. On average, it can cost anywhere from a few hundred dollars to over a thousand dollars.

4. Can I upgrade my laptop for 4K video editing?

It is possible to upgrade certain components of a laptop for 4K video editing, such as the RAM and storage drive. However, due to the compact size and limitations of a laptop, it may not be possible to upgrade the processor or graphics card, which are crucial for smooth 4K video editing. It may be more cost-effective to invest in a desktop computer specifically designed for video editing.

5. How do I know if my computer can handle 4K video editing?

You can check the specifications of your computer to see if it meets the minimum requirements for 4K video editing. You can also try editing a short 4K video clip using a video editing software to see if your computer can handle it without any lag or crashes. If your computer struggles to handle the video, it may be time to consider upgrading for smoother and more efficient editing.