Portable Solar panel system to run a small computer fan

In summary, you can either run off of one battery or build a circuit to combine the two batteries to power the fan.
Herbascious J
Hi all. Recently I purchased two portable USB solar panels, which are rated at 5 watts each. They both came with a 'battery bank' consisting of a single battery all running on 5 volts. I also purchased a 5 volt USB computer fan. My question is; can plug all these things in together so that the solar panels will simultaneously run the fan and charge the batteries so that when the sun goes down, the batteries can take over and run the fan?
I hope this is the correct section for this question. I'm new to this so I don't have much knowledge or insight. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe. You need to determine the number of amp-hours of the battery pack as well as the current draw of the fan.

Likes berkeman
Herbascious J said:
My question is; can plug all these things in together so that the solar panels will simultaneously run the fan and charge the batteries so that when the sun goes down, the batteries can take over and run the fan?
If each pack can run the fan by itself, it seems like your best option is to just run off of one pack unil the sun goes down and that pack's battery runs low, then switch to the 2nd pack's battery.

Alternately, you could build a small circuit to parallel the two packs as voltage sources, with a Schottky diode OR of the two output voltages. Are you familiar with how to make a Schottky diode OR circuit to combine two parallel voltage sources?

https://auvidea.eu/images/auvidea/products/CAN/pdb/Diode_T_366x264.png

1579886849193.png

Hi and thanks for the replies. I'm not very versed in electronics, and all of the components i have at my disposal are simple usb plug and play parts. I'm probably going to simply charge one battery while the other runs the fan. Or perhaps run the fan off panels while the batteries charge, then switch at night. I will look into your suggestions and see what I can learn. Thank you!

Likes berkeman

1. How does a portable solar panel system work?

A portable solar panel system works by converting sunlight into electricity through the use of photovoltaic cells. These cells are made up of layers of silicon and other materials that create an electric field when exposed to sunlight. This electricity is then stored in a battery and can be used to power devices such as a small computer fan.

2. How much power does a portable solar panel system generate?

The amount of power generated by a portable solar panel system depends on the size and efficiency of the panels, as well as the amount of sunlight available. On average, a portable solar panel system can generate around 10-20 watts of power, which is enough to run a small computer fan.

3. How long does it take to charge the battery of a portable solar panel system?

The charging time for a portable solar panel system can vary depending on the size of the battery and the amount of sunlight available. On a sunny day, it can take anywhere from 4-6 hours to fully charge the battery. However, on a cloudy day, it may take longer.

4. Can a portable solar panel system be used indoors?

Technically, a portable solar panel system can be used indoors as long as it is placed near a window or other source of sunlight. However, the efficiency of the system will be reduced since it is not directly exposed to sunlight. It is best to use a portable solar panel system outdoors for optimal performance.

5. What is the lifespan of a portable solar panel system?

The lifespan of a portable solar panel system can vary, but on average it can last anywhere from 10-20 years. Regular maintenance and proper storage can help prolong the lifespan of the system. It is also important to note that the battery may need to be replaced after a few years of use.