Needing help identifying a salt.

In summary, the conversation discusses a titration lab with a monoprotic acid and sodium hydroxide, with a resulting molar mass of around 175g/mol. The speaker is curious about other possible monoprotic acids within that range and is informed that there are organic acids with a molar mass of 176.12 g/mol that behave as monoprotic during titration, with one being regularly consumed on a daily basis.
RoyceB
So I recently did a titration lab with a monoprotic acid and sodium hydroxide. After using stochiometric ratios I found the molar mass to be around 175g/mol. It is possible I have a huge percentage error, but can anyone think of an acid that is monoprotic and is within the range of that molar mass? It's mainly for my curiosity and is not part of my lab.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Plenty of organic acids that can fit. There is one with molar mass of 176.12 g/mol that is technically diprotic, but it will behave as a monoprotic during titration. You know it pretty well and consume it on a daily basis :wink:

1. What is a salt?

A salt is a type of chemical compound formed from an acid and a base. It is made up of positively charged ions (cations) and negatively charged ions (anions) that are held together by ionic bonds.

2. How can I identify a salt?

To identify a salt, you can perform a simple chemical test using litmus paper. If the salt is acidic, it will turn red litmus paper blue, and if it is basic, it will turn blue litmus paper red. You can also use a flame test to observe the color of the flame when the salt is heated. Each salt will produce a unique color.

3. Can I identify a salt using its physical properties?

Yes, you can identify a salt based on its physical properties such as color, texture, and solubility. However, these properties may not be unique to a specific salt, so it is important to confirm your identification using chemical tests.

4. What are the common types of salts?

There are many types of salts, but some of the most common include table salt (sodium chloride), Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate), and baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Salts can also be made up of a combination of different elements, such as potassium nitrate (KNO3) or iron(III) chloride (FeCl3).

5. Why is it important to identify a salt?

Identifying a salt is important for several reasons. It can help you determine its potential uses and properties, such as whether it is safe for consumption or if it can be used in certain chemical reactions. Additionally, knowing the identity of a salt can also help you determine the appropriate storage and handling methods.