Needing help with projectile trajectories

In summary, the individual is looking to create a package of Java classes for developing programs/games using actual physics. They are struggling with finding a formula for projectile trajectory with air resistance and have come across a set of formulas on a forum that they do not understand. They are seeking help in understanding the formulas and would appreciate any resources or projects similar to their own. Suggestions for researching "external ballistics" and setting up a differential equation of motion with two forces (gravity and air resistance) are provided. It is also mentioned that an analytical solution can be found for the horizontal direction, but integration is necessary for more accuracy.
Babillon
I've been working on making a package of Java classes to use in developing programs/games using actual physics instead of 'best guess'.

The problem is I'm pretty rusty with the whole subject, and am lost trying to get a formula for projectile trajectory with air resistance taken into account. I found this, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=27331&page=1&pp=15&highlight=projectile+trajectory, set of formulas which seem to have helped the person who asked the same question as me, but the thing is, it's completely lost on me.

If anyone could explain the formulas mean and how they work I'd be very appreciative.

Also, if anyone knows of any other resources or projects similar to what I'm working on, I'd very much like a point in that direction.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you google for 'external ballistics' you'll find a range of stuff, including some examples in Fortran and C.

You need to set up the differential equation of motion in two dimensions. In a simple model there are only two forces involved: gravity, which is constant and air resistance, which is proportional to velocity squared. There is no analytical solution, therefore you have to integrate the equations numerically. If you restrict the air resistance to only the x-direction (that is, the horizontal one), an analytical solution can be found which is pretty accurate for small launch angles. If you need help with doing the derivations, just ask.

Related to Needing help with projectile trajectories

1. How do I calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile, you will need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. You can then use the equations of motion to determine the position of the projectile at any given time.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that may affect the trajectory include wind, temperature, and the shape and weight of the projectile.

3. How does air resistance impact the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect the trajectory of a projectile. As a projectile moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can cause the projectile to slow down and deviate from its intended trajectory.

4. Can the trajectory of a projectile be predicted accurately in real-life situations?

While the equations used to calculate projectile trajectories are accurate in ideal situations, there are many real-life factors that can affect the trajectory and make it difficult to predict with complete accuracy. These factors include air resistance, wind, and variations in initial conditions.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of launch is a crucial factor in determining the trajectory of a projectile. The optimal angle of launch for maximum distance depends on the initial velocity and acceleration due to gravity. A lower angle may result in a shorter but higher trajectory, while a higher angle may result in a longer but lower trajectory.