Negative vector why isn't it choice 4.

In summary, if the vector B⃗ has a magnitude of 45.0 m and an angle of 60.0 ∘ with the +x axis, then the vector -B⃗ has the same direction as B⃗, but a magnitude of −45.0 m.
bigcookie

Homework Statement

If the vector B⃗ has a magnitude of 45.0 m and makes an angle of 60.0 ∘ with the +x axis, the vector -B⃗
choices:
1. has a magnitude of 45.0 m
2. has the same direction as B⃗ , but a magnitude of − 45.0 m
3.makes an angle of − 60.0 ∘ with the +x axis
4. has the opposite direction of B⃗ and a magnitude of − 45.0 m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

y axises
I -------45.0m diagonal
I 60 Degrees angle
<-(-x)-------------------+x--axises---->
I
I
-y axises

Physics news on Phys.org
What does it mean for magnitude to be negative? Does it make sense for the length of a vector to be negative?

Oh . I see. Thanks you . Magnitude can't be negative
So is it -60 with respect to the x causes because it's now in the third quadrant since the vector b negative is when you reverse the head and the tail of the arrow.

It would be -120. Not -60

Super clear ... thank you very much for your help.

Related to Negative vector why isn't it choice 4.

1. Why is negative vector not choice 4?

Negative vector is not choice 4 because a vector has both magnitude and direction. When a vector is negative, it means that its direction is opposite to that of the positive vector. Therefore, a negative vector cannot be represented by choice 4, which only shows one direction.

2. What does a negative vector represent?

A negative vector represents a direction opposite to that of a positive vector. It can also be thought of as a vector pointing in the opposite direction of the original vector.

3. Can a negative vector have a positive magnitude?

Yes, a negative vector can have a positive magnitude. The magnitude of a vector represents its length or size, which can be a positive value regardless of the direction of the vector. A negative vector simply indicates the direction, not the magnitude.

4. How do you add negative vectors?

To add negative vectors, you first need to determine their directions. If they are pointing in the same direction, you can simply add their magnitudes. However, if they are pointing in opposite directions, you need to subtract the smaller magnitude from the larger one and use the direction of the larger vector as the direction of the result.

5. Can a negative vector cancel out a positive vector?

Yes, a negative vector can cancel out a positive vector if they have the same magnitude but opposite directions. When added together, they will result in a vector with a magnitude of 0, meaning they cancel each other out.