Net force as a function of time?

In summary: Taking the derivative of a vector with respect to time means finding the change in that vector as a function of time.
Comet1592
Homework Statement
I need to find the Net force as a function of time given x and y as functions of time
Relevant Equations
Given that:
y(x)=(2h(x/L)^3)+3h(x/L)2
x(t)=(v_xo)t-L
y(t)=h(((2(v_x0)t/L)^3)-3(v_xo)t/L)^2)+1)
m=300,000Kg
v_x0=100mi/hr
L=25miles
h=10miles
All I've done so far is think about F_net. Since F=ma, and a is a vector, I was thinking that I should find the x and y components of a and then try to calculate F_net that way, but I'm confused as to where I should use x(t) and y(t). Or instead, thinking about it as the change in momentum over time as delta(mv)/delta(t). Honestly, I have no clue how to figure this out, just some general physics knowledge from calc-based general physics 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, ##F_{net} = ma##

That can be interpreted as a vector equation, relating ##\vec{F}_{net}## to ##\vec a##.

Now, what is the definition of ##\vec a## in terms of the position vector?

Likes Comet1592
You mean the second integral of the position function x?

Comet1592 said:
You mean the second integral of the position function x?
No. Acceleration is not the second integral of position.

Oops! Its the second derivative of the position function then?

Indeed. So the force is?

Likes Comet1592
So then that would be the second derivative of y(x)? y''(x)=((12hx)/L^3)+((6h)/L^2)
Then I plug in the numbers for L and h, and get a function in terms of x. From there all I have to do is multiply by mass to get net force? But its still in terms of x and not time... Do I just substitute t in at that point? I just don't get how it's related to x(t) and y(t).

Oh wait... do I plug x(t) into my y(x) equation after I get the second derivative? That would give me a function in terms of t...

Comet1592 said:
Oops! Its the second derivative of the position function then?

Right. ##\vec a## is the second derivative of ##\vec x## with respect to time.

Comet1592 said:
So then that would be the second derivative of y(x)? y''(x)=((12hx)/L^3)+((6h)/L^2)

No, because (a) that's not the position function ##\vec x(t)## and (b) that is not a time derivative.

That is one of the components of position, and you took its derivative with respect to x.

The position is a vector. It has in this case two components, each of which is varying in time. ##\vec x(t) = (x(t), y(t))##.

Now, what does it mean to take the derivative of that thing with respect to time? What do you get? Forget your particular problem for the moment. What does it mean in general to take the time derivative of a vector?

What is net force as a function of time?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The net force acting on an object can change over time, depending on the forces acting on it.

How is net force calculated as a function of time?

To calculate net force as a function of time, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, add together all the forces in the same direction and subtract any forces acting in the opposite direction. The resulting sum is the net force acting on the object at that specific time.

What factors affect the net force as a function of time?

The net force as a function of time can be affected by various factors, including the magnitude and direction of individual forces, the mass of the object, and the object's acceleration. Changes in any of these factors can alter the net force acting on the object over time.

How does net force as a function of time relate to an object's motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that as the net force changes over time, the object's acceleration and, subsequently, its motion will also change.

Why is net force as a function of time important in physics?

Net force as a function of time is a fundamental concept in physics as it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and explain various phenomena, such as changes in an object's velocity or the motion of celestial bodies.