Net Ionic Equations: NaCl + AgNO3 Reaction

• Thread starter b.barkey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the problem is that the first part of the equation is missing and the professor said that all the reactants are not in the equation. So he is trying to figure out how to write the equation and he is asking for help. He is trying to figure out how to add the correct charge to the Ag.
b.barkey

Homework Statement

So the question is:

Enter the net ionic equation for the reaction of aqueous sodium chloride with aqueous silver nitrate.

Homework Equations

So i know that the first part of the equation is:
Na(ClO2)aq+Ag(NO3)aq --> i have no clue what should go here.
Please help

The Attempt at a Solution

and i don't ebern know how to attempt this problem... i tried:
Ag(aq) --> (ClO2)s
because this is what would change but it is saying it is not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
NaClO2 is not sodium chloride.

Start writing both compounds in ionic form, the way they dissociate in the solution. Don't ignore charges.

--

Borek said:
NaClO2 is not sodium chloride.

Start writing both compounds in ionic form, the way they dissociate in the solution. Don't ignore charges.

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info

OH WAIT! Sodium Chloride is just NaCl.

So it would be:

Na++Cl++Ag+NO3-

Close, just add correct charge to Ag.

Do you have any idea what can happen when you mix these salts? Hint: answer lies in the solubility rules.

Borek said:
Close, just add correct charge to Ag.

Do you have any idea what can happen when you mix these salts? Hint: answer lies in the solubility rules.

The Charge on Ag is a + right but my professor said something about in the Net ionic equation how all the reactents are not in it. so i was wondering how i would write the end equation... would it be:

Ag+(aq) --> Cl-(s) or something like that..

Try to answer my question: what will happen in the solution?

--

Borek said:
Try to answer my question: what will happen in the solution?

--
www.titrations.info, www.chemistry-quizzes.info, www.ph-meter.info

the soluble ployatomic ion NO3 would attach to the Na and the Ag would attach to the Cl and the AgCl would become a solid while the Na(NO3) would still be aq... right?

Yes and no. You are right about AgCl precipitating from the solution and becoming solid, you are wrong about NO3- attaching to Na+ - they will just float in the solution, they aren't called spectators without a reason.

Now you should be able to write full ionic equation and cancel out spectators.

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the species that are involved in a reaction, excluding spectator ions. It represents the overall chemical change that occurs in a reaction.

2. Why is it important to write net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations help to simplify and focus on the important components of a reaction. They also show the actual chemical change that takes place and can aid in predicting the products of a reaction.

3. How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the spectator ions (ions that do not participate in the reaction) and eliminate them from both sides of the equation. Finally, write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

4. Why is NaCl + AgNO3 a common example used to demonstrate net ionic equations?

This reaction is commonly used because it produces a precipitate (solid) when the solutions of NaCl and AgNO3 are mixed. This allows for the spectator ions to be easily identified and eliminated, making it a good example to illustrate the concept of net ionic equations.

5. Can you write the net ionic equation for the reaction between NaCl and AgNO3?

The net ionic equation for this reaction is:
Na+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + Ag+(aq) + NO3-(aq) → AgCl(s) + Na+(aq) + NO3-(aq)
where the spectator ions, Na+ and NO3-, have been eliminated from both sides of the equation.