Netiquette Core Rules: Taking Analytics Modeling Course from Georgia Tech

In summary, this person ignored Rule 9 because they feel that it doesn't really matter, they follow Rule 5 because they want to look good online, and they are an "A" with spelling and grammar.
scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am taking an online course on Analytics Modeling from Georgia Tech. The introductory section included a link to a list of core Netiquette Rules, which I find pretty useful.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, berkeman and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
So, um, what are you saying here? Did I mess up again?
Rule 9: Don't abuse your power
o0)

In my experience, there are basically two kind of people: those who follow those rules due to their personality, and those - for the same reason - who ignore them. So they are at best a one-time reminder. I liked number one and two. It's too easy to forget that there are real life persons behind the texts we read, especially as our training to read and to speak is very different: textbooks don't care what you tell them during the reading and in a dialogue we usually have 90% more information from body language, appearance, situation etc. etc.

Last edited:
Likes scottdave
berkeman said:
So, um, what are you saying here? Did I mess up again?

o0)
I ignored this one. It doesn't pay off.

I once received a phone call and the person greeted with as-salāmu alaykum. I responded, I wouldn't understand him and if he couldn't answer in my language, which I had to frequently repeat, because what he thought to be my language actually wasn't. Long story short, he ended with a curse which had been surprisingly well formulated in my language.

You may ignore number nine. :nb) :wink:

fresh_42 said:
there are basically two kind of people: those who follow those rules due to their personality, and those - for the same reason - who ignore them.
There is a third category, also driven by personality: Those who follow the spirit of the rules without losing a lot of sleep over their and others conformance to the letter of the rules.

Likes paulo84
Nugatory said:
There is a third category, also driven by personality: Those who follow the spirit of the rules without losing a lot of sleep over their and others conformance to the letter of the rules.
Yes, that's what I've meant by the first category. I don't think there are many people who change their behavior due to some written rules. Either they don't really need to read them (but often do), and the others.

scottdave said:
I am taking an online course on Analytics Modeling from Georgia Tech. The introductory section included a link to a list of core Netiquette Rules, which I find pretty useful.
Before anyone is allowed to connect to the internet they should be forced to read every word of that lol

Likes scottdave
How about Rule 5: Make yourself look good online? In other words: ". . . spelling and grammar do count."
I'd say I am an A with spelling. Probably a B- on grammar, though. I could probably use some refresher in grammar, especially now that I have a child in Middle School. :wink:

It isn't netiquette in this exact context per say but, I would include something to the effect that what you write never disappears. 'Private' emails can be forwarded to people that you never thought would see them. I have seen others burned badly by that one a few times.

Rule 5: Make yourself look good online

Psh. As of this point, about a horde of 100 people must hate and dislike me. When I said that, someone replied: "Only 100? Those are noob numbers." :DD

And they disliked my post to help me raise the bar. o:) :oldeyes:

1. What is "Netiquette Core Rules: Taking Analytics Modeling Course from Georgia Tech"?

"Netiquette Core Rules: Taking Analytics Modeling Course from Georgia Tech" is a set of guidelines for proper online behavior when taking an analytics modeling course from Georgia Tech. These rules ensure a respectful and productive learning environment for all students.

2. Why is it important to follow "Netiquette Core Rules" when taking an analytics modeling course?

Following "Netiquette Core Rules" is important because it promotes a positive and professional online learning experience. It also helps to avoid misunderstandings and conflicts between students and instructors.

3. What are some examples of "Netiquette Core Rules" for taking an analytics modeling course?

Some examples of "Netiquette Core Rules" for taking an analytics modeling course include using proper language and tone in discussions, respecting others' opinions and ideas, and avoiding plagiarism by properly citing sources.

4. How can "Netiquette Core Rules" be enforced in an online course?

"Netiquette Core Rules" can be enforced by the instructor through setting clear expectations and consequences for violating the rules. Students can also help enforce the rules by reminding each other to follow proper netiquette and reporting any inappropriate behavior to the instructor.

5. Are there any consequences for not following "Netiquette Core Rules" in an online course?

Yes, there may be consequences for not following "Netiquette Core Rules" in an online course. These consequences can range from a warning or reminder from the instructor to potential disciplinary action, depending on the severity of the violation. It is important to always follow netiquette to maintain a respectful and productive learning environment.