Networking configuration question

In summary, networking configuration is the process of setting up and managing the communication between devices on a network. This includes configuring IP addresses, protocols, and other settings to allow devices to connect and exchange data. Common networking configuration questions may include how to troubleshoot network connectivity issues, how to set up a secure network, and how to optimize network performance. Network administrators and IT professionals are responsible for managing networking configuration to ensure the smooth operation of a network.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to set up several web applications on a server. There is a current application running https that I can't touch. I have two other web applications that I set up. I have them running on port 80 and 85. Port 80 is a glassfish server and port 85 is being handled by Microsoft IIS. The one application needs to display an iframe with the content of the the other application. I have this running locally and it does what I want for now.

However, only the application running on port 80 is ever visible to the outside world. I've checked for firewall blocking and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have run across a few comments on the web saying that ISPs may block non-standard ports. So, I've been trying to create URL redirects and other kinds of workarounds. I am not a network engineer so I'm really just fumbling around in the dark with this. I've been Googling everything that I can think of but, sometimes you have to know the right question to ask. Since I don't know the right questions, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

EDIT: Spoke with one of the network guys at work and it looks like ports are being blocked by a corporate firewall.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
@Borg Do you remember how the problem was solved? Was the issue due to the corporate firewall that you mentioned, or something else?

Since this is from 2012, I don't remember anything about it. Since my edit said that the problem was due to a corporate firewall, that must have been what it was.

Related to Networking configuration question

1. What is a network configuration?

A network configuration refers to the way a computer or device is set up to connect to a network. This includes network settings such as IP addresses, subnet masks, and default gateways.

2. What is the purpose of network configuration?

The purpose of network configuration is to allow devices to communicate with each other on a network. It ensures that devices have unique addresses and can access shared resources such as printers and internet connections.

3. How do I configure a network?

Configuring a network typically involves setting up network settings on individual devices or using a network management tool to configure multiple devices at once. This may involve entering IP addresses, subnet masks, and other network settings.

4. What is a static IP address?

A static IP address is a fixed address assigned to a device on a network that does not change. It is typically manually set by a network administrator and is used for devices that need a consistent and predictable network address.

5. What is the difference between a private and public IP address?

A private IP address is used within a local network to identify devices and is not accessible from the internet. A public IP address is assigned by the internet service provider and allows devices to communicate with other devices on the internet.