[Neural Networks] Classification of a sick brain

In summary: You might also consider looking into deep learning architectures which are more suited for this type of task.Do you know a tool (or library) that takes as input a nii files and allows me to create a classifier that uses neural networks ?I do not know of any specific tool or library. Neural networks are a very deep learning architecture, and as such, you may not find a library or tool that is specifically tailored to this task. You might need to explore deep learning architectures in order to train your own model.
themagiciant95
Hi,

i have a dataset with MRI of patients with a specific disease that affects the brain and another dataset with MRI of healthy patients.

I want to create a classifier (using neural networks) to classify if the MRI of a new patient show the presence of the ill or not.

First of all, i extracted the brain from all the MRIs (the so-called skull stripping) using BET tool found in FSL.

I have three questions for you

1) As the input to the training phase i want to give the whole extracted brains(possibly in the nii format), what kind of preprocessing steps do i need to apply once I've extracted the brains (before passing it to the classifier) ?

2) Do you know any better tool for skull stripping?

3) Do you know a tool (or library) that takes as input a nii files and allows me to create a classifier that uses neural networks ?Thanks so much

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Um, I think you are asking for something that may not exist in a form you can use.
An example: http://taco.cse.tamu.edu/pdfs/enspaper.pdf

This effort classifies neural network datasets. Try contacting the author to see where things stand with regard to out of the box software for your task. His email is in the paper as it seems to be a government agency.

Someone else here on PF may know more...

Your questions looks very specific, I have no answers.
But I think I can provide you an advice:
themagiciant95 said:
As the input to the training phase i want to give the whole extracted brains
Do not use whole dataset for training! You need to keep some subset of data to validate the accuracy of your model.

Likes Nugatory
You can use NiBabel (in python) to load the nii files https://nipy.org/nibabel/gettingstarted.html .

And then you can feed the image into a CNN using TensorFlow https://www.tensorflow.org/overview or Caffe https://caffe.berkeleyvision.org/ or something like that.

You might need to experiment with the architecture a bit since the input is a 3D image rather than a 2D image which is more typical.

In terms of pre-processing, there is a lot you could do (http://www.humanbrainmapping.org/files/2015/Ed Materials/FSL_PreProcessing_Pipeline_OHBM15_Jenkinson.pdf), and it can get pretty complex. But also consider that the classifier only needs to be able to make predictions, not analyze the images from an anatomical and physical perspective.

Some neural networks such as a CNN, will be able to learn how to account for some issues all on its own, for example, orientation scale, etc. You might be fine to just try out a classifier on the raw images first, then begin trying some pre-processing steps to see if it helps.

Last edited:

1. What is a neural network?

A neural network is a type of machine learning model inspired by the structure and function of the human brain. It consists of interconnected nodes or neurons that process and transmit information to make predictions or decisions.

2. How does a neural network classify a sick brain?

A neural network can classify a sick brain by analyzing data and identifying patterns or abnormalities that are associated with a specific disease or condition. It can be trained using labeled data to recognize these patterns and make accurate predictions.

3. What types of data are used to train a neural network for brain classification?

Neural networks can be trained using various types of data, such as brain imaging scans (MRI, CT, PET), medical records, genetic data, and clinical symptoms. The type of data used depends on the specific disease or condition being classified.

4. How accurate is a neural network in classifying a sick brain?

The accuracy of a neural network in classifying a sick brain depends on various factors, such as the quality and quantity of data used for training, the complexity of the disease or condition, and the architecture and parameters of the neural network itself. In general, neural networks can achieve high levels of accuracy in classification tasks.

5. Can a neural network be used to diagnose brain diseases?

While neural networks can be trained to classify a sick brain, they should not be used as a standalone diagnostic tool. They can aid in the diagnosis process by providing insights and assisting healthcare professionals in making decisions, but a formal diagnosis should always be made by a qualified medical expert.