Neutral isotopes of atom, state possible value for A & Z?

In summary, neutral isotopes of an atom are electrically neutral atoms with the same number of protons and electrons, but varying numbers of neutrons. They are typically represented by the element symbol followed by the mass number (A) as a superscript and the atomic number (Z) as a subscript. The mass number (A) represents the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus and is used to differentiate between isotopes. The atomic number (Z) can be determined by counting the number of protons and cannot exceed the number of protons in the heaviest element. The mass number (A) cannot exceed the sum of the protons and neutrons in the nucleus.
CAH
A neutral atom of radium isotope may be represented by:
Ra (88 proton number, 228 nucleon number).

A
Ra (A:nucleon number, Z: proton number).
Z
...Is a neutral atom of different isotope of radium. State a possible value for A and for Z.

I know that neutral means the number of protons will be the same as electrons so net charge=0 but I am confused as to why (in the mark scheme) it shows: 228 ± 10.
I know the proton number will stay the same, but why is the nucleon number only plus or minus 10??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CAH said:
Im confused as to why (in the mark scheme) it shows: 228 ± 10.

Where does it show 228 ± 10?

(Also, if this is a homework question, it should be posted in the appropriate homework forum and the homework template should be used. If it isn't, a reference for the source material you are getting this from would be helpful.)

Question 2 on this paper: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
Mark scheme: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA1-W-MS-JAN11.PDF
This is just revision for my exams, not homework.

Thanks

CAH said:
This is just revision for my exams, not homework.

Exam questions are treated the same as homework here on PF. I have closed this thread; please re-post a new thread in the homework forum with the template filled out.

1. What are neutral isotopes of an atom?

Neutral isotopes of an atom are atoms that have the same number of protons and electrons, making them electrically neutral. However, they may have a different number of neutrons, resulting in varying atomic masses.

2. How are neutral isotopes of an atom represented?

Neutral isotopes of an atom are typically represented by the element symbol followed by the mass number (A) as a superscript and the atomic number (Z) as a subscript. For example, the neutral isotope of carbon with 6 protons and 8 neutrons is represented as 14C.

3. What is the significance of the mass number (A) in neutral isotopes?

The mass number (A) in neutral isotopes represents the total number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus of an atom. It is used to differentiate between isotopes of the same element.

4. How do you determine the atomic number (Z) of a neutral isotope?

The atomic number (Z) of a neutral isotope can be determined by counting the number of protons in the nucleus of the atom. This number also determines the element's identity.

5. Are there any limitations to the possible values for A and Z in neutral isotopes?

Yes, there are limitations to the possible values for A and Z in neutral isotopes. The atomic number (Z) must be a whole number and cannot exceed the number of protons in the heaviest element, which is currently 118. The mass number (A) can vary depending on the number of neutrons, but it cannot exceed the sum of the protons and neutrons in the atom's nucleus.