Neutrino oscillations and Majorana Phase

In summary, the conversation discusses why neutrino oscillations are insensitive to Majorana phases. It is explained that this is because the PMNS matrix, which includes Majorana phases, cancels out in the probabilities and also that the Hamiltonian for neutrino oscillations does not involve the Majorana phases. This is due to the fact that neutrino oscillations do not violate lepton number, whereas Majorana phases arise from lepton number violating mass terms.
Soph_the_Oaf
Hello

Why are neutrino oscillations insensitive to Majorana phases?

I'm guessing it has something to do with them being factored out the PMNS matrix using a diagonal matrix ... i.e.
U_PMNS = U Diag (a1, a2, 1)

Is there a point in the oscillation calculation where they always cancel due to a complex conjugate? You end up with the following in a two-flavour probability

SUM_ij ( Uai U*bi U*aj Ubj )

The majorana phases fall on the diagonals
But in this formula, if i=1, j=2 and b=1, a=2
then you end up with a both the dirac phases in the term

What am I missing? Have we lost the majorana phases before this part?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. You can write the PMNS matrix, including Majorana phases, as
$$
U = V \Phi,
$$
where ##V## is the PMNS matrix with only the Dirac phase and ##\Phi## is a diagonal matrix containing the Majorana phases ##e^{i\phi_j}## (if we count them as three one of them can be absorbed as an overall phase on the charged lepton side, but it does not matter for this argument). Thus, in your probabilities, you will have terms
$$
U_{\alpha i} U^*_{\beta i} U^*_{\alpha j} U_{\beta j} = V_{\alpha i} e^{i\phi_i} V^*_{\beta i}e^{-i\phi_i} V^*_{\alpha j}e^{-i\phi_j} V_{\beta je^{i\phi_j}}
= V_{\alpha i} V^*_{\beta i} V^*_{\alpha j} V_{\beta j}.
$$
It follows that the Majorana phases cannot influence neutrino oscillations.

Another way of seeing the same is that the Hamiltonian is of the form
$$
H = \frac{1}{2E} U M M^\dagger U^\dagger + H_{\rm MSW},
$$
where ##M## is the diagonal matrix with the masses of the mass eigenstates and ##H_{\rm MSW}## is the MSW interaction term. Since ##M## is diagonal, it commutes with ##\Phi## and you obtain
$$
H = \frac{1}{2E} V\Phi M M^\dagger \Phi^\dagger V^\dagger + H_{\rm MSW} = \frac{1}{2E} VM M^\dagger\underbrace{\Phi \Phi^\dagger}_{= \mathbb 1} V^\dagger + H_{\rm MSW} = \frac{1}{2E} VM M^\dagger V^\dagger + H_{\rm MSW},
$$
which again is independent of the Majorana phases.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thank you very much, that's a really clear explanation! :)
I nearly got to the answer but did some dodgy matrix multiplication in my head, oops. But its nice to have the second explanation you presented also.
Cheers

p.s. for anyone else reading this, a more physical way to think of this is that Majorana phases arise due to the addition of Majorana mass terms that violate lepton number. Neutrino oscillations do not violate lepton number, therefore they are not sensitive to this.

1. What are neutrino oscillations?

Neutrino oscillations refer to the phenomenon where neutrinos change or "oscillate" between different types (flavors) as they travel through space. This is due to the fact that neutrinos have mass, which allows them to change from one flavor (such as electron neutrino) to another (such as muon neutrino).

2. What is the Majorana phase?

The Majorana phase is a theoretical concept in particle physics that describes the potential existence of a type of neutrino called the Majorana neutrino. This type of neutrino is its own antiparticle, meaning it is its own mirror image. The Majorana phase is a parameter that describes the mixing between regular (Dirac) neutrinos and Majorana neutrinos.

3. How do neutrino oscillations relate to the Majorana phase?

The Majorana phase is a key component in the mathematical equations that describe neutrino oscillations. It affects the rate at which neutrinos change flavors and can also impact the overall pattern of oscillations. Therefore, the study of neutrino oscillations is closely tied to understanding the Majorana phase and the nature of neutrinos.

4. What is the significance of studying neutrino oscillations and the Majorana phase?

Neutrino oscillations and the Majorana phase have important implications for our understanding of the fundamental properties of neutrinos, such as their mass and whether they are their own antiparticles. They also have practical applications, such as in neutrino detectors used in particle physics experiments and in the development of new technologies.

5. How are scientists studying neutrino oscillations and the Majorana phase?

Scientists use a variety of experimental methods, including large underground detectors and particle accelerators, to study neutrino oscillations and the Majorana phase. They also use theoretical models and advanced mathematical equations to analyze the data and make predictions about the behavior of neutrinos. This research is ongoing and has the potential to uncover new insights into the fundamental nature of matter and the universe.