Neutrinos traveling faster than C?

• Thread starter Northern
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutrinos
In summary, scientists at CERN have recorded neutrino particles traveling faster than the speed of light, which challenges the concept that the speed of light is the universal speed limit. However, there is still uncertainty and further research is needed to confirm these findings. Many are seeking clarification from experts in the field to determine the validity of this experiment.
Northern
Hello.
I just read this http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/have-cern-scientists-managed-to-exceed-the-speed-of-light-1.386126" which says that scientists in CERN recorded neutrino particles traveling faster than the speed of light.
Now, I know how "scientifically literate" the media is (God particle comes to mind) and so I'd like clarification from actual real physicists or just people who know their physics.

Is this really so? Does it mean that the speed of light is not the universal speed limit should this experiment be confirmed?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Northern said:
"scientifically literate" the media is
Ha I forgot about this. I saw the article and got all excited then remembered that. We'll have to see but I think the quotes from the article support the title.

edit: here's another article from bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484"

Last edited by a moderator:
any idea if there is already a paper or a preprint? (just wondering)

Hello, thank you for bringing this article to my attention. I understand the excitement and interest surrounding this topic. However, it is important to approach this information with caution and skepticism.

Firstly, it is important to note that this is still a preliminary result and has not yet been confirmed by other experiments. The scientists at CERN are still conducting further tests and analysis to validate their findings. It is important to wait for the results to be replicated by other research groups before making any conclusions.

Furthermore, the concept of faster-than-light travel goes against the well-established principles of Einstein's theory of relativity. This theory has been extensively tested and verified, and it states that the speed of light is the maximum speed at which all matter and information can travel in the universe. Therefore, any claim of particles traveling faster than light would require a significant re-evaluation of our current understanding of physics.

In summary, while the results from CERN are intriguing, it is important to wait for further confirmation and to approach the topic with an open and critical mind. We must always be cautious when it comes to making claims that go against well-established scientific principles. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

Related to Neutrinos traveling faster than C?

What are neutrinos?

Neutrinos are subatomic particles that have no electrical charge and are almost massless. They are one of the fundamental particles that make up the universe.

Can neutrinos travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. Neutrinos were initially thought to have traveled faster than light, but further experiments have shown that they do not.

What does it mean if neutrinos do travel faster than light?

If neutrinos were to travel faster than light, it would challenge our understanding of the laws of physics. It could also have significant implications for how the universe works and could potentially lead to new discoveries.

How are scientists studying the speed of neutrinos?

Scientists are using particle accelerators and detectors to measure the speed of neutrinos. They also use precise timing and distance measurements to calculate the speed of the particles.

Can the speed of neutrinos be affected by external factors?

Yes, the speed of neutrinos can be affected by external factors such as the density of the medium they are traveling through. They can also interact with other particles, which can alter their speed.