How Do Airy Function Roots Determine Photon Energies in a Gravitational Field?

In summary, the presence of a neutron in a gravitation field causes a slight distortion in the surrounding space-time, resulting in a decrease in the strength of the gravitational field. This is due to the neutron's mass and the attractive force it exerts on other objects, which counteracts the pull of gravity. Additionally, the spin of the neutron can also play a role in its interaction with gravity. Understanding the behavior of neutrons in a gravitation field is crucial for furthering our knowledge of gravity and its effects on matter.
eku_girl83
The situation involves a neutron in a constant gravitational field (g=9.8). I need to find the energies of photons that transition to the excited state. I solved the Schrodinger equation by doing a variable transformation using Airy functions. To fully solve, however, I need to find the roots of the Airy function. I looked these up in a table, but am unsure how they are related to the energy/wavelength I am trying to find. Do the roots (-2.33811, -4.08795, -5.52056,...) correspond to energies?
Is there another equation I use to get the energies? I recall the E = -13.6 eV (1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2) and E = hc/lambda equations from previous physics courses? Can I apply these here?

Physics news on Phys.org
eku_girl83 said:
The situation involves a neutron in a constant gravitational field (g=9.8). I need to find the energies of photons that transition to the excited state. I solved the Schrodinger equation by doing a variable transformation using Airy functions. To fully solve, however, I need to find the roots of the Airy function. I looked these up in a table, but am unsure how they are related to the energy/wavelength I am trying to find. Do the roots (-2.33811, -4.08795, -5.52056,...) correspond to energies?
Is there another equation I use to get the energies? I recall the E = -13.6 eV (1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2) and E = hc/lambda equations from previous physics courses? Can I apply these here?
http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~frioux/neutron/neutron.htm" may help you.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How Do Airy Function Roots Determine Photon Energies in a Gravitational Field?

1. What is a neutron?

A neutron is a subatomic particle found in the nucleus of an atom. It has no net electric charge and is slightly heavier than a proton.

2. How does a neutron behave in a gravitation field?

A neutron in a gravitation field will experience a force due to its mass, just like any other object. However, since it has no electric charge, it is not affected by the electric component of the field.

3. Can a neutron be affected by gravity?

Yes, a neutron is affected by gravity just like any other mass. Its mass gives it a gravitational pull and it is also subject to the gravitational pull of other objects.

4. How does the mass of a neutron affect its behavior in a gravitation field?

The mass of a neutron directly affects its behavior in a gravitation field. The more massive the neutron, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more it will be affected by the gravitational pull of other objects.

5. What is the relationship between the strength of a gravitation field and the behavior of a neutron?

The strength of a gravitation field determines the force exerted on a neutron and, therefore, its behavior. The stronger the field, the greater the force on the neutron and the more it will be affected by the field.