Neutron star/Magnetar question

• Thread starter Ben123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutron
In summary, the conversation revolved around a recent public lecture at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics on neutron stars by Victoria Kaspi. The speaker showed an animation of a binary pulsar where the magnetic field was blocking radio light from the background object. There were questions raised about the effect of magnetic fields on photons and whether it was referring to vacuum polarization. The conversation also included links to the video library and congratulations to Victoria for her recent award. The educated guess was that the plasma in the pulsar's magnetosphere could be responsible for dampening the radio waves, potentially due to the plasma frequency. Further research was suggested and possible questions for physicists at the Perimeter Institute were mentioned.
Ben123
My wife and I attended the Perimeter Institute for theoretical physics. We watched the public lecture called: THE COSMIC GIFT OF NEUTRON STARS by VICTORIA KASPI. I thought it was a decent lecture (perimeter has had some outstanding ones in the past). On the way to work this morning I was pondering something she said. She talked about and showed an animation of a binary pulsar where the magnetic field was essentially "blocking" the radio light from the background object. Herein lies my question; I was under the impression magnetic fields do not effect photons in that way. The animation clearly wasn't showing a warping of space time. Was this referring to vacuum polarization? Or some other effect? I attempted a google search and came up fairly inconclusive.Can anyone help me out?

Here is a link to the video (which isn't in their video library yet)
I hope links are allowed!

The part I'm referring to is at the 46 minute mark.
Their video library with past public lectures can be found here:
http://perimeterinstitute.ca/video-library?qt-videos=1#qt-videos

Thanks!

Ben

edit: I completely forgot! Congratulations to Victoria for her recent award!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I can't claim expertise here, but in the absence of any other responses I'll give you my educated guess made after some copious googling.

Apparently, pulsar magnetosphere can host plasma. Either trapped from solar wind of a companion star, or created locally in some process.

Radiation passing through magnetosphere can then be damped via cyclotron absorption.

It's possible that it's neutral atoms too. In the insane magnetic field of a magnetar, the electron clouds get squeezed and stretched. Atoms become long cylinders and I supposed that they'd seem denser to a passing photon?

If I had to guess, I'd say it's not the magnetic field in the magnetosphere that matters at all, it's just the plasma. There is something called the "plasma frequency", which is typically in the radio range, and is the frequency below which no radio waves can propagate through the plasma. The field from the radio wave creates charge separation which cancels that field, a bit like what a Faraday cage does. The plasma frequency gets higher at higher density (it scales with the square root of density), so all you need to completely suppress the electromagnetic transmittance from the pulsar is a high enough plasma density in the way.

Wow, Thanks for the responses' everyone! I have some more googling to do! At the perimeter public lectures they have physicists in the lobby that you can quiz when you arrive. I may have a couple more questions for them this time!

Thanks
Ben

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a type of celestial object that forms after a massive star dies in a supernova explosion. It is incredibly dense, with a mass greater than that of the Sun packed into a sphere with a diameter of about 10-20 km. The gravitational pull on a neutron star is so strong that it causes the protons and electrons to combine into neutrons, hence the name "neutron star."

2. How are neutron stars different from regular stars?

Neutron stars are much smaller and denser than regular stars. They also have extremely strong magnetic fields, which can be a trillion times stronger than the Earth's magnetic field. Additionally, they spin very rapidly, with some neutron stars spinning hundreds of times per second.

3. What is a magnetar?

A magnetar is a type of neutron star that has an even stronger magnetic field than a regular neutron star. The magnetic field of a magnetar is so powerful that it can distort the structure of atoms and cause intense bursts of X-ray and gamma-ray radiation.

4. How are magnetars formed?

Magnetars are formed when a massive star dies in a supernova explosion and leaves behind a neutron star with a strong magnetic field. Some theories suggest that the magnetic field of a magnetar is generated through a process called dynamo action, where the rapid rotation of the neutron star creates a strong magnetic field.

5. Are magnetars dangerous?

Yes, magnetars are considered to be one of the most dangerous objects in the universe. Their intense magnetic fields and frequent bursts of radiation can be harmful to any nearby planets or spacecraft. However, the chances of a magnetar causing harm to Earth are very low, as the nearest known magnetar is about 14,000 light-years away.