Neutrons scattering on Silver plate

In summary, the plate of silver absorbs 11% of neutron flux with kinetic energy 1 eV. The total scattering cross section for neutrons is calculated to be 10-10m, which is in agreement with the geometric cross section.
skrat

Homework Statement

A 2 mm thick plate of natural Silver absorbs 11% of neutron flux with kinetic energy 1 eV. What is the total scattering cross section for neutrons?
##\rho (Ag)=10500 kg/m^3## and ##M(Ag)=107.9kg/kmol##
What is the ratio between the calculated cross section and geometric cross section of nucleus?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No problems with the first part, but also no idea what to do with the second part of the problem?

If I am not mistaken, than I should be able to get the geometric cross section from ##\rho (Ag)=10500 kg/m^3## and ##M(Ag)=107.9kg/kmol##; while calculated cross section should be in some relation to scattering?

Any hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, here is what brings me to wrong solution:

From the first part ##\sigma _{tot}=9,945\cdot 10^{-28}m^{2}=10^{-27}m^{2}##

Now I said that ##\sigma _{tot}=\pi R^2##. From where ##R_c=(\frac{\sigma _{tot}}{\pi })^{1/2}##. This should be calculated cross section.

Geometric cross section:

##\rho =\frac{m}{V}=\frac{m}{\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3}=\frac{M(Ag)}{\frac{4}{3}\pi R^3N_a}## from where ##R_g=(\frac{3M}{\rho N_a4\pi})^{1/3}##

Than ##\frac{R_c}{R_g}=0.00011## instead of 11.6.

Last edited:
Is M supposed to be the molar mass of mercury? Mercury has an atomic weight of about 200.6.

Ooops, sorry, I made I mistake when posting my question. The element is Silver, not Mercury.

I will edit my original post.

I very much doubt the two measures should disagree so violently.
It's hard to say much more because there's so little detail in your post. I've no idea how you compute σtot, so I'll just accept that. For the geometric radius I get roughly 10-10m from your equation. From what I see in Wikipedia, that's about right. Is that what you got? You didn't mix up kmol with mol, right?

haruspex said:
I very much doubt the two measures should disagree so violently.
It's hard to say much more because there's so little detail in your post. I've no idea how you compute σtot, so I'll just accept that.
Ok. My result for this part is the same as the "official".

haruspex said:
For the geometric radius I get roughly 10-10m from your equation. From what I see in Wikipedia, that's about right. Is that what you got? You didn't mix up kmol with mol, right?

Yes, ##R_g=(\frac{3M}{\rho N_a4\pi})^{1/3}=1.6\cdot 10^{-10} m##

Of course, maybe I understood "geometric" wrong. Maybe something else is meant by geometric and not something you get out of this formula. :/

skrat said:
Ok. My result for this part is the same as the "official".

Yes, ##R_g=(\frac{3M}{\rho N_a4\pi})^{1/3}=1.6\cdot 10^{-10} m##

Of course, maybe I understood "geometric" wrong. Maybe something else is meant by geometric and not something you get out of this formula. :/
Just noticed a crucial word... Geometric cross section of NUCLEUS. I believe you computed the cross section of the whole atom.

skrat said:
Ooops, sorry, I made I mistake when posting my question. The element is Silver, not Mercury.

I will edit my original post.

The thread title has now been edited to change 'Mercury plate' to 'Silver plate' to avoid further confusion.

SteamKing

1. What is neutron scattering on a silver plate?

Neutron scattering on a silver plate is a scientific phenomenon that occurs when neutrons, which are subatomic particles with no electrical charge, interact with the atoms in a silver plate. This interaction causes the neutrons to change direction and energy, providing valuable information about the atomic structure and properties of the silver plate.

2. How does neutron scattering on a silver plate work?

Neutron scattering on a silver plate works by sending a beam of neutrons towards the plate, which causes the neutrons to scatter in different directions. By analyzing the patterns and intensities of the scattered neutrons, scientists can determine the positions and types of atoms in the silver plate, as well as their magnetic and vibrational properties.

3. What are the applications of neutron scattering on a silver plate?

Neutron scattering on a silver plate has many applications in materials science, physics, and chemistry. It can be used to study the structure and behavior of materials on a microscopic level, leading to advancements in fields such as renewable energy, pharmaceuticals, and nanotechnology.

4. What are the advantages of using neutron scattering on a silver plate?

One of the main advantages of using neutron scattering on a silver plate is its sensitivity to light elements, such as hydrogen and lithium, which are difficult to detect with other methods. Additionally, neutron scattering provides precise measurements of atomic positions and motions, making it a valuable tool for understanding the properties of materials.

5. Are there any risks associated with neutron scattering on a silver plate?

No, there are no known risks associated with neutron scattering on a silver plate. The neutrons used in this process have very low energy and do not pose any health hazards. However, safety precautions are always taken to ensure the proper handling and use of neutron beams in scientific experiments.